Why read?

Why read?

My thoughts on why people should read.
4

I started reading when I was quite young. I don't remember the exact age, but one of my earliest memories is my mom reading Harry Potter to my brothers and I. This has had a lasting impact on my life. Like, I would not be the person I am today if I did not read. I would not enjoy the same things that I do today, or even act the way I do. I have found that reading is a door that opens up to countless opportunities in life and has changed me.

When I read, I am in the book. It is as if I am taken to a whole new world, surrounded by the story, completely engulfed and engrossed in the way that makes you feel like you are right there with the characters. In this way, I am able to live, in my opinion, a million lives. You feel their pain along with them. Their happiness. It is full of endless happenings. When I have a bad day, I can go read and I can escape for a little bit. When I am happy, I can open a book and absolutely feel my heart soar with the characters or break when they are broken down. That is the power of the written word. An absolutely amazing power at that.

Reading is what has made me decide what I want to do with my life, become an author. My passion for words and how they impact others and me was a driving force behind changing my major from Computer Science. That is not an easy thing, to change so drastically like that. My vocabulary is of a decent capacity due to the fact that learning words you don't understand becomes important when you read as much as I do. I feel that it has made me more empathetic and gives me the ability to see things differently. Granted, this is not easy to prove, seeing that I have a bias toward myself, but I see this in others too.

I think that everyone should give reading a try. Sure, it isn't for everyone and, if you don't read, that does not mean that you are not smart or empathetic or anything like that. I just think that reading improves these things. Reading gives you the chance to live someone else's life for just a little while, but it is worth it. Everyone deserves to feel the same feelings of happiness or what have you. Just give it a try sometime. If you are reading this, what is the difference? Well, other than the amount of reading that is haha. Doesn't hurt to give it a go.