19 Books That Comprised My Childhood, And Probably Yours Too

Growing up with books: the next best thing to siblings.

264
Unsplash

The thing about ‘children’s books’ is that children can’t even read them. I think that’s what makes them so momentous in our lives when we are growing up, the experience of having them being read to us. The moments spent with the people in our lives that made sure to set aside time to ensure that we felt calm enough to get some sleep, they were so important and meant so much to us as toddlers. The downtime with that person and being read a story that we sometimes were too young to even comprehend, still plants itself in our brains as sacred memories. As the stories are being repeated they become imprinted in our long-term memories, and stumbling across them later in life stirs up the pot of nostalgia. Recalling those moments from long ago that feel so precious. These 19 books will always bring me back:

1. “Love You Forever” by Robert Munsch

"Love You Forever" tells the story of an evolving relationship between a boy and his mother, including all the wonderful moments and the not-so-wonderful ones too.

2. "Goodnight Moon” by Margaret Wise Brown

"Goodnight Moon" is a beautifully calming book that captivates a young one's mind. Saying 'goodnight' to all the household objects and eventually, the moon.

3. “Are You My Mother?” by P. D. Eastman

A story about a hatchling bird. His mother, thinking her egg will stay in her nest where she left it, leaves her egg alone and flies off to find food. The baby bird hatches. He does not understand where his mother is so he goes to look for her.

4. "Go, Dog. Go!” by P. D. Eastman

The book describes the actions and interactions of a group of highly mobile dogs, who operate cars and other conveyances in pursuit of work, play, and a final mysterious goal: a dog party.

5. “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom” by Bill Martin, Jr. and John Archambault

The 26 characters in this rhythmic, rhyming baby book are a lowercase alphabet with attitude.

6. “Corduroy” by Don Freeman

A story about a teddy bear, Corduroy, left in the department store after hours. He has an encounter with a young girl in which she is desperate to have him. The book tugs at your heartstrings as a child knowing that the teddy bear gets so close to finding a forever home.

7. “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein

The Giving Tree is about a little boy and a female tree that develop a strong relationship throughout the boy's childhood. All along the tree gives a part of herself to help the boy grow physically and emotionally, using herself to help the boy succeed.

8. “The Rainbow Fish” by Marcus Pfister

The Rainbow Fish is a children's book dedicated to teaching the lesson of 'giving' in order 'receive' the feeling of true happiness.

9. “The Kissing Hand” by Audrey Penn

The Kissing Hand tells of a young raccoon scared to leave his mothers side, but with the comfort of a kiss from his mother left in the palm of his hand, he finds the strength to move forward.

10. “Stellaluna” by Janell Cannon

Stellaluna is a story about a family of bats, all dealing with struggles from the outside world and internal differences.

11. “Angelina Ballerina” by Helen Craig and Katharine Holabird

Angelina loves to dance at all times of the day and during any daytime activity. She even likes to dance in her sleep, this children's book is a tale of a young one's dream and her parent's support to reach it.

12. “No, David!” by David Shannon

No, David! is about a young boy who breaks all his mother's rules.

13. “The Tale Of Peter Rabbit” by Beatrix Potter

The story follows mischievous and disobedient young Peter Rabbit as he is chased about the garden of Mr. McGregor. He escapes and returns home to his mother, who gets him ready for bed with some tea.

14. “It’s Not Easy Being a Bunny” by Marilyn Sadler

About a young bunny named P.J. Funnybunny and his adventures to live with a different animal because he does not like being a bunny.

15. “Clifford The Big Red Dog” by Norman Bridwell

A male red dog whose appearance, disposition, and behavior are based on a giant "all-around" dog. Clifford is shy, gentle, friendly, loyal, lovable, clumsy, well-meaning and helpful.

16. “Where the Sidewalk Ends” by Shel Silverstein

This seems to be a magical, mystical world, where nothing is quite normal, but everything is awesome.

17. “Owl Moon” by Jane Yolen

The story deals with a father that takes his daughter owling for the first time on a cold winter's night. Along their way, they encounter a great horned owl.

18. “Giraffes Can’t Dance” by Giles Andreae

Gerald the giraffe longs to dance, but his legs are too skinny and his neck is too long. Dancing isn't his forte, but it's what makes him happy so he will always continue to do so.

19. “Frog and Toad” by Arnold Lobel

Each book contains five simple, often humorous, sometimes poignant, short stories chronicling the exploits of a frog, and his dear friend Toad.