5 Reasons Why Books Are Better Than Netflix

If you don't consider yourself a book person, here's why you should become one.

916
Caio

With the summertime comes perhaps my favorite past time to exist – reading. While the school year often has me too swamped to sit down and focus on a good book, binge reading is my favorite part of the summer. Don’t get me wrong – I’m just as much of a Netflix junkie as the next person, but there are some aspects of books that simply cannot be mimicked by TV. Here are just a few.

1. The details found in books.

In general, TV shows are focused primarily on the plot. Their goal is to shove in as much story as possible in a limited amount of time. In a book, there’s no rush. A book can follow its own pace, leaving plenty of time for details that can lead to better characterization and plot, ultimately creating a stronger story.

2. Creating the characters your own way.

When you first begin to read about characters in a book, your mind is a blank slate. While the book gives you a guide as to how the characters appear, such as details of hair color and body build, it is up to you to create the image of a character as you read. Meanwhile, on a TV show, a character is partially defined by an actor rather than solely by who they are in a story. While you may fall in love with a character on a TV show because you are a fan of the actor, when you fall in love with a character in a book, it’s a testament to the writing and your own mental characterization.

3. Every interpretation of a book is unique.

When you watch a TV show, everybody is watching the same thing. However, when you’re reading a book, the mental imagery is different for everybody. Not everyone pictures the scenes playing out the same way or takes away the same message from the story. Each individual’s interpretation comes from his or her own mind, and therefore each story is tweaked slightly for the individual.

4. Reading is engaging.

Watching Netflix is easy – you can sit back and let the story unravel before you. There’s no mental effort involved, and quite frankly, that’s why most of us appreciate it so much. However, the beauty of a book is being fully engrossed in it. When you’re reading, you’re active, you’re present. You’re living in the story just as much as all the characters are.

5. Reading is far better for the brain than TV.

In terms of effects on the brain, there’s no competition. Studies have shown that excessive TV can lower verbal IQ, while reading increases connections in the brain related to language. In addition, six minutes of reading can lower stress levels by 68%, making it one of the best stress relievers out there – even better than music and coffee! Regular readers are also at a reduced risk of Alzheimer’s, while regular TV watchers have an increased risk.

It can be hard to pick up a book and take the time to engage with it when Netflix is only a click away. But I promise that once you pick up the right book, not only will the benefits far outweigh any desires to binge watch TV, but you’ll find a deep connection with the story that will make you even more addicted to your book than to Netflix.

From Your Site Articles