A Body Positive Movement For Everyone

A Body Positive Movement For Everyone

The goal of the body positivity movement must continue to support inclusiveness and should not tolerate any form of body shaming.

13
A Body Positive Movement For Everyone

When observing history, it seems as though what was considered to be beautiful was based on the trend of that time. Sometimes the trends may have involved simple things like eyebrow shapes, makeup tips, hairstyles, and clothing or fashion in general. But sadly, they also involved body types. Even in this current time, it is evident that body types have seemed to become a trend as well, dictating what is deemed beautiful and what is not.

Unfortunately, not everyone can attain those standards of beauty without taking drastic measures. For some, this may not seem like a dire issue. This is because of the fact that those negatively affected were not given a platform to express their perspectives. Some may wonder why women may want to take these drastic measures but those who wonder may not understand that women are held to a much higher standard and are often times judged by their appearances. Therefore, this new movement that tries to promote body positivity is one of the most remarkable and important movements in recent times.

It is remarkable because of what it promotes and it is important because of the way that it can help to improve the way in which individuals see themselves. It shows that beauty truly does come in all shapes and sizes. It is about showing and helping people to understand that they should have a positive outlook on their bodies no matter what the mainstream media promotes.

However, as with many movements that try to promote what is important about a misrepresented or underrepresented group of people, there can be an unjustifiable but understandable backlash by the people who have not faced the same situations. At times this backlash extends beyond minor jabs and can become what some may consider body shaming. This has happened to many people and even multiple celebrities who are ridiculed for having a thin frame. The mistreatment towards women who are not be perceived as thin is much more prevalent then the mistreatment of those who are thin. However, to condone any form of body shaming is counterproductive, nonetheless.

The goal of the body positivity movement must continue to support inclusiveness and should not tolerate any form of body shaming. Sometimes men can even be forgotten in this discussion of body positivity. Although, there are many more women who are vocal about the occurrence and effects of body shaming, men are not immune to these things and have also shared the same negative views of their own bodies. It may be difficult for some people to feel the same empathy for those who have not endured the same as men and women who were often ridiculed for their body types but this is still important to make sure that no one is left out of this movement. The body positivity movement has been phenomenal in its development and will continue help to change the perceptions and outlooks of beauty within this current culture as well as those to come.