6 Celebrities Who Share Their Body Positivity On Instagram

6 Celebrities That Defy Society's Beauty Standards By Sharing Their Realities

In the famous words of Hannah Montana, "Nobody's perfect."

6490

It's no secret that celebrities have our hearts. As much as we try to avoid checking in on their every move and comparing how they look and what they're wearing to ourselves, we've been caught in the loop more than anyone wants to admit.

It's a media setup to help the famous and presumably unattainable remain that way. The lights, attention, bodies perfectly sculpted to fit society's beauty standards, silky smooth skin, and "life is a highway" demeanor seen on Instagram pressures us into thinking we have to be flawless in order to be of quality.

In case no one has told you this, that is absolutely NOT true! It is actually the farthest thing from it.

Even our precious celebrities have insecurities. They too struggle with comparison and the feeling of having to fit a certain image in order to remain relevant.

Well, enough is enough. We are all shaped differently, whether it be our faces, bodice, or the hair on our heads. No one is the same — similar, maybe, but never completely identical.

The world is starting to learn and accept this to be true. The people with the most eyes on them have started to come forward with their reality. Photoshop is being turned off and deleted.

Instead of scrolling down our timelines and thinking "I wish," we can now stop and say, "Hey! That reminds me of myself. I deal with that too!" and be proud to see a bit of ourselves in the people we look up to.

If you're feeling a bit skeptical or want to find the accounts of some of these wonderful celebrities that are tearing down the wall between media fame and reality, I've taken it upon myself to present to you some of the women who've helped me appreciate myself.

1. Rihanna

From her music, to Savage x Fenty and everything in between, this list would be amiss without Ms. Rihanna to start it off. Rihanna always shared her truth whether it be through words or photos even before the launch of Fenty Beauty in 2017 and Savage x Fenty in 2018. She's only gone above and beyond ever since.

Her personal account, along with the pages dedicated to her brands, Rihanna continues to share unedited pictures of people ranging in all sizes, skin colors, heights, etc. for all to see. One of her biggest attacks on beauty standards to date is the 2018 Savage x Fenty Runway Show. In an interview with Vogue, when asked about a particular section of the show possibly being a tribute to the Garden of Eden, Rihanna responded with this: "It's funny you say Garden of Eden because it is mixing the really organic, authentic things of the world and meshing it with what we see in the future or what we hope to see in the future: Women being celebrated in all forms and all body types and all races and all cultures. It's a celebration of womanhood,"

Rihanna finished by saying, "I think it's a shame women have to feel insecure or self-conscious about how their bodies look. They've been taught by society that only one thing works."

2. Sarah Hyland

Known well for her role as Haley in "Modern Family," Sarah Hyland has been in the spotlight for a substantial part of her life. She is one of the many that are praised and looked upon as the goal weight and size for a woman's body —something that must come to an end. Sarah addresses this in multiple Instagram posts that challenge viewers to realize there is more than what meets the eye when it comes to someone's outer appearance.

In her specific case, Hyland shared that she has endometriosis and well as kidney dysplasia. She has undergone 16 surgeries in her lifetime, including two kidney transplants – the second being the result of her body rejecting the first. These conditions have taken a toll on her body and her mental health. They have also left her with scars that she has recently become more open to sharing images of. Sarah Hyland continues to use her platform to show all the sides of her story and encourages others to celebrate their own. She is a proud advocate for everyone to #EmbraceYourScars.

3. Demi Lovato

Demi Lovato is very open about her struggles with different mental illnesses, some being eating disorders and drug addiction. Through music, interviews, films with inside looks into her life, and so much more Demi has been a loud and proud champion for self-love, self-care, and overall body positivity. If you're looking for a celebrity whose life doesn't seem to be perfectly crafted and put on display in a media museum, Demi is the woman for you.

4. Yara Shahidi

While this post may be a few years old, Yara Shahidi's backing of the unibrow is ongoing. In American society, particularly, having a unibrow or overly thick and messy eyebrows are frowned upon – to be more specific, any kind of bodily hair on a woman is looked at as a negative. Yara is a brilliant example of how society's standards hold no true meaning when you look within yourself for love and validation instead of to others. Yara has spoken openly about her views on body positivity – true positivity versus the media's twisted version – and how, with the help of her mother, she learned early into her teen years that the additions made in the makeup trailer before a shoot did not define her.

5. Chrissy Teigen

While more active on Twitter, you can always count on Chrissy Teigen to give you all of her – see what I did there – on all platforms. She has shared her journeys through surgeries, recovery, mental health, and pregnancy throughout the years. The most recent being the removal of her breast implants. Chrissy took to Instagram stories to share post-op photos and relay the good news of her surgery going well. She continued to post during recovery reporting of soreness and even contemplation of a second surgery due to her breasts being bigger than she expected them to be post-removal. Other transparencies that can be found on Teigen's Instagram are her videos capturing her trying to catch the "perfect" angle which she will often tell you in the posts. Yes, even Sports Illustrated models struggle to pull off an Instagram "baddie" pose that's worthy of being posted.

6. Iskra Lawrence

Iskra is a personal favorite and a definite go-to for reminders that I am beautifully made. She is an Aerie model who is open and honest about being "plus-size" in the industry and in life. I don't think I've ever come across a photo of her that has been heavily edited. Of course, being an aerie role model, her Instagram page is filled with her in super cute swimwear, loungewear, and activewear that is completely untouched.

Iskra gives off a light and positive vibe that instantly makes you feel better about yourself when you see her. She regularly discusses changes in her body. For example, she recently gave birth to a beautiful baby boy and kept her followers updated on her body development before his arrival and how it settled postpartum. From workouts and photoshoots to family time and self-empowerment, you will find it all on Iskra's account.