Body Image: What Your Piercing Says About You

Poking More Holes into Your Skin, Ay?

21413

I’m more of a traditional gal, AKA my dad would disown me if I ever made the unfortunate decision to get a tattoo. No offense against them of course, I know several people (including my favorite gym trainers and friends at school) who have them. I write that it is an unfortunate decision because in my case, I’m pretty sure my parents would force, or try very hard to force, me to remove the permanence from my skin. It’s just the way they are, and those feelings have rubbed off on me over the years.

Following the lines of tradition (if you’ve read my article about coming from Greenwich etc, you’ll remember that my family is the old money kind, even if we don't have all the money that usually comes with that stereotype), one piercing is saying a lot for the women in my family.

My grandmother and my mother didn’t have their ears pierced! Not one hole ever graced their lobes. My mom’s sisters, as I did last year, decided to change that custom. Honestly, I regret my choice. I had so many problems with my ears being sensitive to any earing that isn’t gold. And, update, gold earrings aren’t found on the shelves of Forever 21.

I also didn’t realize how special it made me feel to be one of the only people I know close to my age that didn’t have their ears pierced. Truth be told, I miss my bare lobules. But I’m not going to let the $40 I paid to get them pierced (at a tattoo parlor in New London) go to waste.

Anyway, I decided to share with you my feelings about what I think all of your piercings mean.

1. One ear piercing.

urbanmods.com

A true, classic look. You probably got them done when you were five months old and fortunately didn’t play with them enough to screw up the surrounding skin. Since I’m new to the earring world, I am delighted to see all the different types there are whenever I am out and about, such as dangly earring is too heavy you will get a saggy ear, so… BEWARE, I personally like my lobes perky), studs and small hoops (anything bigger than half an inch is trashy, don’t go there) or pearls, anything from Claire’s, and the infinity sign.

2. Cartilage.

wikihow.com

You’re stepping out of the norm, but now that it’s become the new trend I guess it is the norm. This look gives me immediate NYC and urban vibes. Like, the girl from Greenwich who goes to private school in Westchester County, it is within her jurisdiction to have a cartilage piercing. Not so much the girl who works at Lilly Pulitzer.

3. Ear cuffs and more earrings lining your ear besides the above two.

listsurge.com

I’m thinking you decided to rebel against your parents, or every time you went into Claire’s you were too bored to stop yourself (Ellie, I know this is not the case with your DOPE earring candy). Like I said, I’m traditional, so I have a biased opinion on several earrings but having said this, you do you.

4. Nose piercing.

mollymac13.blogspot

Most people with nose piercings have the nose to pull it off. I’m pretty ok with the simple silver stud. I think I actually went through a one-week phase at school in the fall where I wanted one. I don’t really vibe with the hoops, like the one that goes through the septum. It honestly reminds me of a bull and it’s horns. Kinda aggressive, I know, but you’re the one walking around with it. Although, what I’ve noticed about people with said nose hoops, is that they can pull. It. Off.

5. Belly button piercing.

aliexpress.com

Ah, the Belly Button Pierce. I also went through a belly button pierce phase where I decided I wanted one… but that ended. I used to think they were trashy. Not sorry about it. But then (like tattoos), I started to notice that a lot of girls at school had their tummies pinched with the shiny loop. So over last year, I got pretty used to seeing them. Paired with a crop top, the shimmering piece looks nice peeking out (you know what I mean, Martha).

6. Tongue Piercing.

tattooeasily.com

Yikes. If you have this piercing, the moment I see you I think, “she’s/he’s badass.” Definitely a statement. But isn’t it weird to brush your teeth or kiss other people ? I would think that poking a hole through your body’s strongest muscle isn’t something anyone would want. But you’re probably one of those people, who, like the nose piercing, can pull it off!!!

Like I said in Part Three, you do you… I just might not. But, coming from someone who, despite all of the better training she has had, judges people by their appearances, your piercings say a lot about you, don’t forget that when your sticking needles into your body.