Top 5 Tracks Off Of Frank Ocean's 'Blonde'

The long-awaited Frank Ocean album has finally blessed our ears.

531
Apple Music

Frank Ocean's long awaited album "Blonde" has officially dropped.

After a four-year hiatus, Frank has finally released his sophomore album. "Blonde" which came out on Aug. 20 exclusively to Apple Music has set a blaze to social media. Me being an avid Frank Ocean listener, I was ecstatic when I heard he finally released his second album. In the six days that it has been out I have listened to the full album over nine times. Every time I replay the album I discover something new about the songs. Words become clearer, the beats become ingrained in to my brain, and his vocal modulations get more mesmerizing. After listening I have finally selected my Top Five songs, one for each ocean.

1. "Self Control"

This is the best song on the album. Hands down. Period. This is classic Frank Ocean. The song starts with a conversation and eventually leads to an acoustic beat with Frank's vocals being the main instrument. The song itself is about Frank and an ex-lover who he clearly misses. The lyrics "Now and then you miss it, sounds make you cry" he knows that his music reminds them of their past relationship. I think most people can relate to this song if they have ever been in a relationship.

2. "Solo"

"Solo" is a more upbeat song with fast paced lyrics. Again this song utilizes Frank's astonishing vocals. Frank has come to a conclusion that he is by himself and he is taking drugs to deal with his secludedness. Early in the song Frank doesn't want to be by himself "Forgot to tell you, gotta tell you how much I vibe with you And we don't gotta be solo" but later in the song we discover that Frank remains single. This song is good reminder that is acceptable to take time for yourself and become a better you.

3. "Ivy"

"I thought that I was dreaming When you said you loved me It started from nothing I had no chance to prepare. I couldn't see you coming. It started from nothing I could hate you now It's quite alright to hate me now. When we both know that deep down. The feeling still deep down is good." The first chorus sets the tone for the rest of the song. Frank started as friends with his lover and eventually the relationship escalated to being more than friends. Later in the song it's clear that the relationship was toxic for Frank and he needed to get out. This song speaks volumes for today's relationships, where we get lost in the physical aspect and never actually fall in love with said person.

4. "Nikes"

All though this is my fourth favorite song, I have no doubt that this will be the most played song on the radio. This song has it all, it has commercial appeal, it hits on the shooting of Trayvon Martin, drug references, and of course a love interest (If Frank is singing it, there is gonna be a touch of romance). The beat in this song is very mellow, allowing you to actually listen to the words Frank is singing.

5. "Skyline To"

This beat sends you on a voyage to space or maybe just a drug induced trip. Each line in this song is a high thought. Frank is analyzing the little things in life. This is a very trippy song that Frank's listeners will really enjoy. To make this song even better he included Kendrick Lamar to add extra emphasis to certain words.

Overall this album lived up to the four-year hype. I would even say it was better than 'Channel Orange". If you have yet to listen, you need to reconsider your life choices. On a one to 10 scale, I would give it a seven and half.