Blended Families Create Beautiful People

Without my family I don't know where I would be today.

3
Sarah Mason

I am the youngest child of four that were melded together when my parents met, got married and had me. When I tell people about my family I always explain how my family is mixed. It's an indispensable part of me. My family are a key part to my entire being.

For a back story my dad had a previous marriage when he had my oldest brother, Kyle, and middle sister, Mykah. My oldest sister, Marlois, is my mom's from a previous relationship. Marlois was adopted legally by my dad when him and my mom got together. But all together we prefer to just be known as The Mason's.

From my three siblings I was pushed to learn life lessons. From getting picked on till I had thick skin (literally and figuratively) to being loved like I never deserved. We laughed, cried and lived our lives growing up together under one roof. We are more lucky than I ever realized at a young age.

Growing up there was drama and fights that happened. But we now each have our own little mini lives and families. (Well really my siblings have mini families with SOs and kids and I just have my mess of life with college and a boyfriend but that's a story for another time.)

When I moved to college hours away from the rest of my family I realized finally that I had forever taken for granted how beautiful my family is. There is no shame or insult being from a mixed or blended family. It's a blessing that made me realize the consequences of our decisions. I realized how important the decisions we make are. I saw first hand how strong someone can be and learned early on that life is always a little messy. We have to be ready to overcome struggles that knock at our doors.

I learned how to love others whole heartedly and see two sides of a picture. I was blessed with an open mind and caring heart. All because my family was imperfectly perfect.