Why Black Women In Business Are Thriving Right Now!

Why I think entrepreneurship and black owned businesses are important.

113
People Discussing Business

As a black woman and current business student in college, many people might find it obvious as to why I value and cherish black own businesses and entrepreneurship. And it is true because I see these two routes as a path for myself when I graduate college, but I also think it is important for other people to see that they can do things on their own and the amount of diversity there is in the business world. I've had the experience of seeing one black owned business work through a pop up shop. Recently I've had the chance to work with Zuvaa Marketplace. This company was founded by Kelechi Anyadiegwu in 2014. It was made to build a marketplace connecting african designers to consumers from all over the world. This business is connecting many people with new and diverse experiences that would have never been able to acquire on their own before. I've worked with Zuvaa as an Ambassador during the New York pop up tours. It is a lively experience that I've had the pleasure of doing three times. This experience (although I only see a small portion of what happens) helps me see the grand picture of running a business and what goes into running a store or website. It's hectic, It's fun, and it's everything that I as a future entrepreneurship would love to see. To see the joy on someone's face once they've received your product, or to know that you've helped make a difference in the world or the community that you're affecting makes everything worth it. It also doesn't hurt that you're your boss, and you can set whatever schedule you would like. It is nice having ultimate control and not depending on anyone. I love seeing the surge of black owned businesses and people starting businesses and companies that are making an impact and inspiring people so I want to highlight a few brands and people that are black owned.

1. Zuvaa Marketplace- is a marketplace where African Designers can showcase their designs to the world
  2. Matte Brand- founded by Briana Shaneè Wilson, this clothing line sells beauty jumpsuits and leisure items. Already featured many publications like Paper Magazine
  3. Plugged NYC- founded by Tizita Balemlay, Plugged NYC has just been picked up by Asos and has been featured on many people like Rihanna
  4. Miss Jessie's- Founded by sisters Miko and Titi Branch, this natural hair brand has helped many women of color tame and define their natural hair texture. Since the founding in 2004 Miss Jessie's is now sold in places like target and Walmart, but also in hundred of thousands of beauty supplies around the country
  5. Ka'oir Cosmetics- founded by Keyshia Ka'oir, she was able to make a brand selling top quality makeup products and fitness products like slimming teas and waist belts.
  6. Siebert Cisneros Shank- Co-founded Suzanne Shank started an investment firm in 1996, and has acquire a deal with New York City Transitional Finance Authority to serve as lead manager for an $800-million project.
  7. Catherine Marion- Founded by Abby and Ivie Omoruyi, this company sells hair products (for natural hair), wigs, and books about growing out hair. This is a very personal company for me because when I was in middle school I started following Abby's blog and watched her natural hair journey on youtube. She is part of the reason why I went natural in High School.
  8. Fanm Djanm- Founded by a beautiful haitian woman by the name of Paola, she started a turban brand that promotes diversity and womanhood. Fanm Djanm means “strong woman" in haitian creole.
  9. Juvia's Place- Is a makeup brand that sells beauty and pigmented products for affordable prices. Juvia's Place palettes has been all over youtube displaying the beauty eyeshadows they sell.
  10. Sacha Cosmetics- Founded in Trinidad and Tobago in 1979 by Kama Maharaj. This makeup brand is geared towards multicultural women and is most known for the Sacha Buttercup setting powder.