Black Holes vs. White Holes

Black Holes vs. White Holes

We all know that matter only enters black holes, but could white holes be where that matter exits?

1461
Black Holes vs. White Holes
Astro Camp School

What's the difference?

Ask any physicist what the most confusing thing in our world is, and the response you are most likely to get is a black hole. We all know about the black hole, that empty death-promising tunnel of nothingness, sucking up everything that comes close to it. But what about its theorized cousin, the white hole? Is it possible to have one? And what's the difference? Well, buckle your seat belts because we're about to go on a road trip to "Whaaaaaat" Land.

So, let's start with black holes, since we know they exist. The definition for a black hole is "a region of space having a gravitational field so intense that no matter or radiation can escape." They're basically like a maelstrom in space, but there are a few things that are completely different. For instance, scientists believe that the laws of physics do not apply when something is sucked into a black hole. One of the most radical examples of this is the possibility of matter being destroyed, which supposedly cannot happen thanks to the law of conservation of mass.

There is also this point in a black hole, which, of course, is only theorized, since no one has entered a black hole and survived (and no one has gone into one at all, since the nearest black hole is 3,000 light years away). The point is called thepoint of singularity (ringing any bells? I wrote another article on it awhile ago). At the point of singularity, it is theorized that all matter has so much gravity pushing down on it that it becomes singular, or one-dimensional (to make it easier to understand).

Now for the white hole. Basically, a white hole is the exact opposite of a black hole. In a black hole, matter can enter but never leave. In a white hole, matter can leave but never enter. This is because the gravitational force that sucks stuff into a black hole is reversed in a white hole, so it's pushing stuff out. Scientists have not actually found a white hole, but this is our best guess on what it would be like.

The cool part:

So, I'm sure scientists have talked about this before, but I haven't seen anything on it, so I'm going to discuss my theory with you guys. You have a black hole, that most definitely exists. Matter can't leave, only enter. Now, what if a black hole is a passage to another universe? This is a common enough theory, and some people believe it's the explanation for a multiverse.

Well, here's where I've thought of an addition to it: if a white hole is the reverse of a black hole, wouldn't it make sense that, if someone entered a black hole, they would be shot out of a white hole into a different universe? If you look at the diagram below, you can see how the gravitational pull would support this theory, since the pull is going in the same direction when the two holes are connected. This would mean that one can go through one set of space holes, but then have to find another set to get back (since you can't go into a white hole).

(insert diagram)

But this raises another question: if this is theory about white holes were true, then how come we can get to another universe through the black and white holes, but not by just traveling through space? Well, this is where the point of singularity comes in. Like I said earlier, the white hole is the opposite of the black hole. So, that means the point of singularity is reversed, or things expand when they go through. What if there is this invisible wall between our universe and the next? In order for this to work, it would have to act as a sort of sifter. Certain sized objects could go to the next universe, but if they're too big, they'll just keep going in this universe. Weird, I know, but we are talking about black holes here. Just bear with me.

The point of singularity would make matter so small that it could fit through the wall, and end up in a different universe. Once it gets through to the white hole, it would be expanded to normal size.

Disclaimer:

It is not approved by NASA or anyone on the International Space Station. Thank you.