Black Friday Shoppers: Be Nice Or Leave

Black Friday Shoppers: Be Nice Or Leave

How to keep a sound heart and mind while getting your holiday deals

9
Black Friday Shoppers: Be Nice Or Leave
Chronicle Live

It's officially the most wonderful time of the year. You just had the most delicious Thanksgiving dinner. You may or may not have already been scouting stores in person or online for those holiday gift deals, or you may just want to treat yourself. Nonetheless, the world's most insane shopping day is upon us. The one that brings snaking double and triple lines of people camping out around stores the night before the sign switches from "closed" to "open". The one that has caused 7 deaths and 98 injuries since 2006 (according to http://www.blackfridaydeathcount.com). I love bargain shopping more than a lot of things, and I also know a lot of us are still fired up about this year's too recent election results, but let's remember to display some human decency this Black Friday.

I think it's really important to focus on why we give Holiday gifts in the first place, as well as how the act of giving them makes us feel. If you feel special or happy when you give someone a gift, or when that person gives you a gift, remember that feeling and harness it when you walk into every store you enter on Black Friday morning. Remember that warmth and compassion, and remember that everyone else is there for the exact same reason that you are. "Friendly competition" for limited stock items is okay. Physically injuring and/or demoralizing someone to increase your chances of getting one of those items is not.

In (extremely important) addition, please remember to be courteous and cooperative when interacting with the retail staff assisting you. These people are people, just like you. They have families, and many of them have had to take time away from their children to spend it with crowds of people who make a point to treat them poorly just for the sake of Black Friday. Some stores start their Black Friday promotions on actual Thanksgiving, which means some staff members have to miss the holiday altogether. Do your homework and pay attention when you arrive at the store. Thank the staff members who take the time to come to your aid. This will make everything easier on everyone, including you. As we approach this holiday weekend, take the time to reflect on why we celebrate this time of the year. Try to think about your own personal giving philosophies independently from money or material. It is so, so important to work not to become mindless or heartless, and I can speak for that especially during the Holidays.