Best Bisexual TV Characters

11 Bisexual TV Characters That Are Positive Bi Representation

These characters aren't "going through a phase" and we know it.

390
Brooklyn Nine-Nine, season 5, episode 17 screencap

Finding a bisexual character in anything that wasn't just "confused" or "going through a phase" used to be a rare occurrence. But nowadays, lots of characters (especially characters on TV) have been emerging that represent the bisexual community well. Here's a list of some of the best one I've found, though I'm sure there are more.

1. Rosa Diaz from "Brooklyn Nine-Nine"

Always in a leather jacket, this motorcycle-riding badass detective is exactly the kind of person you would expect to fit in the "I don't like labels" trope, which makes it all the better when she uses the word bisexual to describe herself in season 5. Her coming out story is personal and honest, battling many common bi misconceptions.

Also, the actress that plays Rosa, Stephanie Beatriz, is a loud and proud bi person herself, making Rosa's bi arc all the more meaningful.

2. Darryl Whitefeather from "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"

Darryl's coming-out journey in "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" was the first time I had ever seen someone on TV use the word "bisexual" to identify themselves. So seeing Darryl not only figure out he's bi, but be proud enough of it that he sings a whole song about it was amazing to watch. Also, I love how he represents people who discover their sexuality later in life.

3. Eretria from "The Shannara Chronicles"

Yay for bi leading ladies! In season one of The Shanarra Chronicles, Eretria mentions that she had had relationships with men and women, but is only shown with a male love interest. This is why it came as a shock to many that at the beginning of season two, she already had a girlfriend.

She helps to show people that bi people can be intensely faithful to their partners, no matter the gender.

4. Petra Solano from "Jane the Virgin"

Tumblr

Though fans of Jane The Virgin have wanted Petra to be queer ever since the show started, her actual bisexual storyline didn't feel forced. I loved watching how she can wrap men around her finger but is reduced to giggles around her first female crush. Her being attracted to JR felt like the most natural thing in the world.

5. Magnus Bane from "Shadowhunters"

I have never seen the "Shadowhunters" show, but I have read "The Mortal Instruments" book series and Magnus Bane is a fascinating character and exploring his relationship with Alec and his past relationships are really entertaining.

6. Eleanor Shellstrop from "The Good Place"

I love that Eleanor's bisexuality is such a subtle character trait. Yes, I do love coming out stories, but I also like characters who already know who they are and don't have to make a big deal about it. Eleanor's bi, but she has much bigger things to deal with.

7. Brook Soso from "Orange Is the New Black"

There are a few bi characters on "Orange Is the New Black," but Brook Soso is the only one who has shown her bisexuality (or possibly pansexuality) in a non-problematic way.

There is even a great scene in which one of the lesbian characters makes fun of her "fluid" sexuality when Brook tells her that she loves people and not genders, which is a great example of some of the ostracism the people under the bi umbrella still face in the LGBTQ community.

8. Valencia Perez from "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"

While Darryl from "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" was very excited and in-your-face about his bisexuality, Valencia doesn't make as big of a deal of it, representing all the kinds of mentalities on the topic of coming out. She is a determined, career-oriented woman who just happens to have had boyfriends and (currently) a girlfriend.

9. Captain Jack Harkness from "Doctor Who" and "Torchwood"

One of the most flamboyant, carefree, and just plain fun depictions of bisexuality out there. He's just so much fun to watch!

10. Lucifer Morningstar from "Lucifer"

I've never seen "Lucifer," but it actually won a Bisexual Representation Award for best lead male character and won the award for best bi representation in a TV show, so I thought I'd give him a shoutout.

11. Inara Serra from "Firefly"

This might be a controversial choice, but I enjoyed how Inara's bisexuality was portrayed. Though she mostly takes male clients, she chooses a female in one episode, telling the other characters that sometimes she prefers women and sometimes men.

Many people have complained that the male characters' reactions to this fetishize her bisexuality, I personally saw it as a commentary on how female/female relationships can be fetishized by men and how wrong it is to do.

People also complain that her endgame relationship is with a man (namely, Malcolm Reynolds), but to that I say, that's why she is BISEXUAL and not a lesbian. There are bi people who have never even been in a homosexual relationship, but they are still bi. Inara has every right to have a male partner while still remaining bisexual.

Sadly, the show was canceled before her sexuality could be delved into further.