Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday

This one is for your Mother.

47
Eboni Nash

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear child, Happy Birthday to you….

Each year this song echoes through your mind. You count down the months, the weeks, the days, and eventually the hours. Expecting the annual song, cake, and presents. It is a day where everything seems to be brighter and in your favor. Whether you look forward to your birthday or not, you are always expecting it. We look at age in a way to symbolize our maturity, as if a multitude of years correlates with knowledge. On the other hand, we use birthday’s as a leverage to get the gifts we want.

It wasn’t until this year, that I realized how selfish birthdays truly are. Birthdays celebrate the gift of life. The day in which we were born. The problem is the recipient of the celebration is backwards to moral tradition.

For a max of nine months, a woman is expected to carry and nurture a baby. Nine months that never go as planned. Cravings, morning sickness, pain, wardrobe switch, etc… A woman is faced with a continuum of changes to her body and to her life. It is a blessing to be able to bring a life into this world. A power only women have. To celebrate this miracle once in a lifetime, is not enough. Instead, mothers, being the selfless gifts they are, give up this celebration to their child. From that day forward, the giving never stops. Mothers would freeze on a cold night just to make sure their child was warm. The average mother is known to be naturally caring. Who am I to deprive them of the credit they deserve?

This week, I celebrated my birthday. Instead of making it a day about me, I focused on the wonderful woman who brought me into this world. Without her, I wouldn’t be the young lady I am today. All of my dreams and accomplishments would be lifeless without the constant support of my Mother. Life hasn’t always been sunshine and rainbows, but you did your best to allow me to perceive it that way. Every sacrifice you made for me hasn’t gone unnoticed. I’ve admired your dedication to the family ever since I was young. Studies show that on average, it takes two stable parents to raise a child to the standards of society; a co-parenting alliance it is called. However, you did it by yourself. You beat the odds, ignoring what others had to say. If I had one wish, it would be to have you the rest of my life. You have been more than my mother, you have become my best friend. Who would have thought it would take me 20 years to realize the true diamond God has given me. You are strong. You are beautiful. You are the best mother a girl like me could ask for. Thank you. Happy Birthday.