Just Because A Baby Is Born Different Doesn't Mean It's Not Worthy Of Life

There is something fundamentally wrong, deep down, with a people that elevate their own wants and needs over that of their baby's life.

139

It's weird because the headline sounds so blatantly obvious. Sometimes, I just have to take a step back and wonder at the fact that I even feel the need to write an article on this topic.

How can we be confused over the fact that every child has the right to life?

How can we, as a society, even be debating the fact that we have absolutely no right to steal the laughter, joy and life that awaits that little kid?

Who are we to rid the world, even, of the brightness that they could bring?

I'm talking specifically, but not exclusively, about kids with Down Syndrome in response to this CBS News report about the near elimination of Down Syndrome babies being born in Iceland with prenatal screening.

There is a part of me that sympathizes with the parents making these decisions. Raising a child like this, a child that is different, in some ways can be difficult. I completely understand that it comes with its own unique challenges.

However, there is something fundamentally wrong, deep down, with people that elevate their own wants and needs over that of their baby's life.

I understand that these people have legitimate concerns, worries and needs.

However, these unequivocally pale in comparison to the murder of an innocent, peculiarly vulnerable child with inherent value and worth, a value given ultimately by God their Creator who formed them in the womb to be who He made them to be.

There is something deeply disturbing about a mother, father and society that looks at a child with genetic differences and says, "No. You are less than. You are not worthy of life. You are not valuable enough to sacrifice for."

But, even more than that, "I am choosing death for you over life because it would be better for me and for the world for you to die."

And I know this sounds harsh. But these are harsh, ugly realities and we can't even begin to deal with the problem or think about a solution until we face up to the truth.

A big part of me, bigger than I'd like to admit, shrinks back from writing this. Who wants to be the one to take what the world has called good and healthy and a basic human right and call it murder?

I don't know. I don't, but maybe if that unborn child had a chance at life or had a voice to say it, maybe he would.

When did we move on past acknowledging and facing these facts?

What lies are we forcing ourselves to believe in order to excuse ourselves from dealing with these realities?

Or have we just become so numb to the idea and so used to the devaluing of human life that we think it's OK?

I don't know. I feel at a loss for words at the brokenness of that which could be beautiful. It may be hard, but it would be life. And life is so much better than death.

Maybe this is a bigger issue. Maybe I should've written on something bigger: abortion, the devaluing of life, the disappearance of morals, the heart issue.

But I had to say something. Even if it was small, incomplete or not enough. At least I will have said something.