5 Binge-Worthy Shows Every College Student Should Watch

Trust me these shows are worth it

45

As a university student, I've noticed that one's favorite television show is a common topic of conversation when it comes to first-week icebreakers in class, interviews and even dates. Of course, there are hundreds of incredible shows available to stream at any moment's notice, but hopefully, by the end of this, the answer to the question of your favorite TV show will be a little more interesting than 'The Office' (even though the show is brilliant-- I love it, myself-- we should expand our horizons).

1. "A Million Little Things"

Even though the show just premiered last fall, it has already become one of my favorite shows ever (which is saying a lot, coming from me- a self-proclaimed TV addict). A Million Little Things, which follows the lives of a group of friends after the man who brought them all together dies. It's the perfect melting pot of all of life's experiences. You love each character for who they are and what they contribute to the bigger picture. I could write an entire essay on why this show deserves your attention. I promise, if you're anything like me, this is a show you'll love.

2. "Gilmore Girls"

This show is a classic- my own personal favorite. Gilmore Girls, set in fictional Stars Hollow, Connecticut, follows the lives of a single mother, Lorelai Gilmore, and her daughter, Lorelai 'Rory' Gilmore, as they traverse through Rory's teenage years and early adulthood. There are so many pop culture references, witty banter and the cutest collection of young romance. I consider Gilmore Girls to be my guilty pleasure show- the one I put on in the background while I clean or do homework, but also the one that I can pick up at any episode and know exactly what's going on, the one I watch just to cheer up after a difficult day. In my opinion, there's something about Gilmore Girls that everyone can love if they just give Lorelai and Rory a chance.

3. "This Is Us"

Comparable to A Million Little Things, this show is one you will love from the very first episode. There is so much to learn from this show- about life, love, family, you name it. I have a difficult time getting through each episode of This Is Us without going through an entire box of tissues. This is the kind of show that will tug at your heartstrings for a while, but by the end of the episode, you'll be smiling and pressing 'play' on the next episode. Plus, Milo Ventimiglia is in it, so really, what more could you want?

4. "YOU"

This one's been super popular lately and for good reason! YOU- staring Mr. Dan Humphrey himself, Penn Badgley- portrays the thought process of Joe Goldberg, a serial stalker, who becomes obsessed Guinevere Beck, an amateur writer who struggles with getting her career (and her life) on track. This show freaked me out from the very beginning (and made me change all of my social media privacy settings), but it's definitely worth watching.

5. "Atypical"

Atypical follows the family of high school senior, Sam Gardner, who is on the autism spectrum. Throughout the show, Sam deals with various social situations that tend to be a little bit more difficult for him, like dating. At the same time, Sam's family faces struggles of their own- from his mom's inability to face the fact that Sam is growing up, to his sister beginning her first relationship. As someone who has always known autism as part of her life, this show really spoke to my heart. I found that it was relatable to me since I know firsthand how the Gardners feel throughout the show. I think that everyone has something to gain from a show like Atypical.

If you're interested in watching these shows (which I highly recommend that you do!), they are available on either Netflix or Hulu. Happy TV show binging!