Why We Should All Be Binge-watching Netflix

Bringing everyone together one series at a time

24
tumblr.com

Let’s face it: Netflix has taken over our lives at some point. With it’s collection of movies and T.V. shows and its constant updates to that collection, it’s easy to see why many people would be willing to pay for it… and I’m not just talking about money.

“Binge-watching” shows has become quite the phenomenon and those who say that they have never been guilty of it are liars. There are just some shows that you really want to watch but have either ended or air at an inconvenient time and day for you. Not to mention the fact that people can get interested in a show that has already been on T.V. for a while, leading them to Netflix so they can catch up. Or maybe the next season is coming and a refresher would be helpful. What can you do? Binge-watch the previous season on Netflix.

Despite its convenience and efficiency, there are some who criticize it by saying that it’s addictive and it causes people to waste their days on a couch in front of the T.V. screen. They say that there couldn’t possibly be anything good about something that makes you want to watch shows all day instead of doing anything else more productive. Well, they obviously haven’t seen what watching shows does for people.

Imagine a week during a summer vacation in which you aren’t particularly busy (or perhaps a few weekends in a row) and there isn’t anything on T.V. that’s interesting enough to catch your attention. Well, a pretty good remedy would be to watch a new show available on Netflix because you’ll never know what you’ll find entertaining. You find a show and watch it all that week or weekend then you hear someone you know mention that exact show. You two immediately begin a conversation about your favorite characters and plot points and actors then before you know it, you two are texting each other in between episodes or perhaps getting together to watch it. There could be a chance that eventually you are watching with a group.

This concept not only brings people together, but can also become great conversation starters. Sure, everyone is sitting around and eating snacks while watching but that’s nothing a few breaks in between can’t fix (stretches anyone?). But I’m not talking about the negatives of binge-watching. My point is, watching shows can create memories, inside jokes, friendships, and an overall atmosphere of social conversation.

This could even apply to family members. Shows could bring families together in a way that doesn’t involve cheesy games, arguments, or awkward conversations. Personally, before I moved back to college, my mother and I got together to watch a very gripping show on Netflix over a span of a few days. We were so invested in the characters, mysteries, plot twists, and actors. It gave us a few more lasting summer memories before the school year and that’s something I love.

So say what you want about Netflix and watching countless episodes days on end. No past time is perfect, but this particular one doesn’t get as much credit for bringing people together as it should.