Why Binge-Watching Isn't Always A Good Idea

In case you need someone to talk you out of that next episode.

46
Mommyish

Sometimes, binge-watching is one of those things that you often don't realize that you're doing until you're already doing it. With Netflix's autoplay feature, it's hard to say no to another episode when an old one ends.

Other times, binge-watching is a choice. Most recently, I have undergone a challenge to binge-watch the last four seasons of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia before December, when it will be removed from Netflix.

But while binge-watching is a fun and popular thing to do, it does have its downsides. So whether you're looking for someone to dissuade you from starting that new season of Orange is the New Black or looking for someone to fight online, here are three reasons why binge-watching isn't always a good idea.

1) You Forget Stuff.

This is especially important if you watch mysteries or other shows that build on themselves. I binge-watched the first season of How to Get Away With Murder in two days. Though it was exhilarating to get the answers to the twisted tale right away, within a few months, I had forgotten vital details about the plot. A lot of which were reappearing in later seasons. I had to go back and rewatch the first two seasons-this time, more slowly.

2) Delayed Reward.

One of the most rewarding parts of watching a TV show live is, after a week of speculating, theorizing, and endless waiting, the satisfying feeling of turning on the television to hear, "And now, a brand new episode of XYZ!"

Of course, you can't do that with, say, Gossip Girl, which has already been canceled, but it's still more satisfying to be able to reward yourself for a hard day at work, school, or the gym with another episode of your favorite show.

3) Loss of Sleep.

This one seems obvious until you're one episode away from the finale and it's 2:30 am. Then the finale is only an hour and a half long and you can afford to skip your 9 am anyway...

Don't do it. It's an ugly cycle. Not only will your sleep schedule be thrown off, but you'll be behind in your classes. Even if you didn't skip your class, that's time you could've spent studying. After studying, you can sit down to enjoy your show as a sweet reward.

Don't take this as me trying to tell you what to do. If you still have the urge to binge watch Stranger Things, go for it! But if you have your doubts, feel free to put down the device and do something else. It'll be there when you get back.

Unless it's getting pulled from Netflix, of course.