Why You Should Binge Watch Luke Cage

Why You Should Binge Watch Luke Cage

Because we all need a good way to spend our Saturday.

10
Why You Should Binge Watch Luke Cage

A bulletproof black man is Marvel and Netflix's new superhero to get a tv show to himself. We couldn't ask for a better hero this time around. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and now Luke Cage.

This is the show everyone needs to binge watch the next time they sit down, and there's more than a few reasons why.

The Hoodie

The hoodie he wears is a nod to Travyon Martin and other black men and boys that have been shot for not looking friendly enough to people. Mike Colter insisted on the outfit because he knew how people viewed others in hoodies. Instead of being the villain, Luke is the hero. He is a protector and a man who fights for justice.

The Relevance

It's probably one of the most current shows I've seen in a while. With references everywhere to real world events like the recent shootings of black men across the United States, the show addresses relations between society and the police. There's also moments of corrupt politicians that are supposedly trying to make the area great again. Sounds familiar.

The Cast and Characters

The cast is amazing and well picked. Everyone does their roles wonderfully, and there's such diversity on the cast. It's amazing to see a mostly non-white cast when so many shows and movies now are all white or mostly white. As an extra plus, Luke Cage is helping white people realize what it looks like to not be over represented and how under represented every other race is in the rest of television since there are few white characters in the whole show.

Even better, every character is wonderful and complex. They all have amazing backstories that intersect in a number of ways. Each one is realistic, each one is human, and they couldn't be brought to life better.

The Plot

Talk about amazing. It starts off slow with Luke working his two jobs to get by, but it picks up quickly. Luke Cage is a mix between a crime show and a drama with a little bit of romance towards the end. A mix that couldn't have been done better as Luke fights to make his home better. Harlem is his home, and he won't stand for corruption or gangs making their homes there as well.

The line between good and bad is thin, and we get to watch people walk that line. From Luke to his enemies, there are few characters purely good or bad. The gray area shows just how gray real life can be too.

Overall, I couldn't ask for a better show. It's relevant, it makes a statement, and the plot works well. Spend a day and binge watch the whole thing. It only takes a little less than thirteen hours.