9 Biggest Differences Between NorCal And SoCal

After living in both places for a while, I think they should be two different states

10695
onelombard.com

People often don't understand that Northern California is so different than Southern California, that they should, realistically, be different states. If you tell someone outside of California, that you're from the sunshine state, they will assume that you go to the beach every day, you live in your bathing suit, you're obviously tan because it's warm all the time, etc. But coming from SoCal to living in NorCal, it's extremely different.

1. Traffic is worse in Northern California.

People may say that the 405 is a terrible place to be, but a lot of the highways in NorCal go down to two lanes, and 4 freeways merge together right at the Bay Bridge, and Emeryville is just as terrible, if not worse than the 405.

2. It get's extremely cold up north.

People down south think that 65 degrees is winter weather. Once you move up to NorCal, be ready for a shock. When it gets dark during October to April, it gets into the 30s and 40s at night, every night. One time, I had ice covering my windshield and couldn't drive my car.

3. Mexican food is not as big of deal in NorCal.

I am not a fan of Mexican food to begin with, but I know for a fact how big of a deal it is in SoCal. Taco Tuesday was a religious day for my friends and everyone lives at Chipotle and other Mexican food restaurants as well down south.

4. You are deprived of good amusement parks in NorCal.

No Disneyland, no Knotts. You have an okay 6 Flags, but it doesn't compare to Magic Mountain.

5. People care more about the environment in NorCal.

A lot of people that live in the city, either don't have a car, or if they do, they don't drive it. A lot of people bike to work, take the train or walk. A lot of steps are being taken in Northern California to make things more green and sustainable for the environment.

6. The beaches are way different in SoCal.

When you go to the beach in Southern California, you can expect masses amounts of people, good surfing waves, hot sand and unlimited amounts of sunshine. This isn't the case in the Bay Area. It's often cloudy, the beaches are rocky and not a lot of people fill up the sand.

7. NorCal is expensive.

San Francisco is one of the most expensive places to live in the nation, and everything in the city is expensive. Living, driving, food, clothes, all of the prices are way more than you would find down south.

8. Trying to park in SF is a living nightmare.

Finding a parking lot in SF is one thing, but once you actually find one, be prepared to break your bank account. The garages are extremely expensive, and can cost you up to $30 an hour to park or more.

9. NorCal has an awesome public transportation system.

That's one perk of living in Northern California -- the great thing called BART. The subway system that runs through the Bay Area is a great and cheap way to get around. You can take it to the baseball games, or park in Oakland where it's cheap, and then take BART into SF.

10. It is perfectly acceptable to say "hella" in every sentence in NorCal.

This is a growing epidemic down south, right now, but people have been saying it up here for a while and it is perfectly acceptable, and encouraged in order to convey your emotions.

Overall, living in both places has taught me so much about so many different things, and I will always love California, but you can never take the OC out of someone.