The Best Moments of Big Little Week

Top 6 Best Parts Of Big/Little Week

After the stress of sorority recruitment, big/little week is a much needed time of joy and surprises.

125
Amaya Ruiz

Going into recruitment and then joining a sorority, one of the events I was most excited about was big/little week. I was so excited to find someone I could call my best friend outside of my own pledge class. Thankfully, through the process, I was able to find my big who I absolutely love. Big/little week is an amazing week where bigs anonymously shower their littles in gifts! While the whole week is amazing, there are definitely some moments that stand out!

1. Anxiously waiting for the week to start

After littles list their top choices for bigs, they have to wait till the end of the week to find out who they got. Obviously, this can be an anxiety inducing time, but knowing that you'll soon be joining a new family who loves you is enough to push any bad feelings away.

2. Opening your first basket

Amaya Ruiz

After waiting for the week to start, opening your first basket is one of the best parts about big/little. Every night that I looked through my basket I knew that my big was going to be my best friend. She already seemed to know me so well and after someone bakes you brownies, it's difficult to not love them.

3. Becoming a detective to try to find your big

Each night, bigs will leave hints and clues in their baskets so that the little can try to guess who they are. While this may seem helpful, the bigs also typically lie so that they can throw the little off. This of course, leads to every little trying to be Sherlock Holmes. Navigating through the clues and trying to piece together who your big is, though, is so much and makes reveal that much better.

4. Seeing your room decorations

Amaya Ruiz

After being kicked out of my dorm, so that my big could decorate my room, coming back in and seeing all the decorations was one of my favorite parts of the week. Seeing all the effort that my big had put in to making my room look nice just filled me with warmth.

5. Finally meeting your big

Amaya Ruiz

On a Friday night I ran from the Phi Sigma Sigma house on campus to Kogan Plaza, directly into the arms of my big. While I didn't cry it was definitely a near thing. My big is quickly becoming my best friend and I am so proud to be her little.

6. Being surrounded by your new family

Amaya Ruiz

While littles gain a big during the process, they also gain an entire family, too. I was lucky enough to join an amazing group of women who I now get to call my family. Big/little week has been one of my favorite parts about being in a sorority and I'm so glad that I gained some amazing friends out of this process.