Things To Know For Your Freshman Year Of College

Upcoming Freshmen, Here Are 11 Things You Should Know To Embrace This Big Life Change

Wow, what a big change that is about to happen in your life.

2140
Dakota Beever

I'm so so excited for you. I was in your shoes just a year ago and man do I wish I could go back and do it all over again. I remember being so anxious to move away from home and start a whole new life in a whole different town.

Here are a few things that I wish someone would've told me going into my freshman year.

1. You are going to get home sick

I thought I wouldn't get home sick for a little while, but it only took 2 weeks for me to have a panic attack and hitch a ride back home.

2. You are going to be forced to grow up

You are completely emerged into a different town, environment, and lifestyle and it is going to be weird for a little while. You have to go grocery shopping, make your own dinner instead of coming home to something already made, and do your own laundry.

3. You can be anyone you want

If you want to be a completely different person than you were in high school, what's holding you back? There is no one that's telling you that you can't change.

There is always room to better yourself or become the person you always wanted to be.

4. Call your bestie from high school and catch up with her or him every now and then

It seriously made my day when my best friend from back home would facetime me and tell me how life was back home.

One thing that scared me the most about going off to college was losing the friends I watched grow my whole life. If they're a true friend, their life won't ever get too busy to call you every once in awhile.

5. Call your family and let them know you’re alive

Your family is more sad about you leaving than you are. You used to be right in their reach and now you’re not, but you are a phone call away. Check in when you can, I promise they will appreciate it a lot.

6. Have as many dance parties with your new roommate as much as you can

Honestly, this was one of my favorite things about college. I could be studying and say you know what? Screw this. Dance party. The best part about it is that she was (almost always) thinking the same thing.

7. Take the roommate contract seriously

Speaking of roommates, this is one of the most helpful pieces of advice I can give you: sit down the first night you're all moved in and go over pet peeves. Lay down the things that crawl under your skin that you want them to avoid doing.

This will make things go more smoothly.

8. Go to class

Seriously. Some classes you pass by just showing up, so why wouldn't you go? Your parents spend so much money for you to go to class and get an education. When you don't go to class, you might as well tell them to shred up that money and put it down the toilet.

Take class seriously. Find a study buddy and go to the library or the local coffee shop and make the most of it. You can make memories while studying!

9. To contrast that last statement, go out and have fun

Make memories with your friends that you will cherish forever because besides getting an education, making memories is what college is about. Don't say no and then sit in your dorm watching Netflix all night.

Take a break from studying to go with your roomie to get Cook Out. Pause that show you've been binge watching to go for a ride at 2am for no reason and talk about life, or talk in a super country accent just because it's fun.

School first, fun second, Netflix third.

10. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there

Do something you never thought you'd do.

Say hey to the person sitting next to you in class. Join a club. Go through sorority recruitment even if it's something you never thought you'd do. Put together an intramural team.

You never know if you don't try.

11. It is OK to be unsure of what your major is

Your first year is when you are just starting to test out the waters.

Go get help from resources that are provided to you. There are people who have jobs designed solely to help you figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life.