Summer's Getting Hotter With The Return Of "Big Brother"

Get ready to expect the unexpected.

15
Hollywood Reporter

That's right, it's that time of year again... "Big Brother" is about to start.

For those of you who don't know what it is, let me tell you. "Big Brother" is only the BEST reality TV show to exist.

No, but really. "Big Brother" actually gets its name from the book 1984 by George Orwell. The plot of the story is about a dystopian world where 'Big Brother' is always watching. In fact, the book was recently turned into a play.

The show "Big Brother" is currently on its 19th season, and was renewed last year for a 20th season as well. However, in order to watch it, viewers must first understand the rules and how it works.

"Big Brother" is essentially a game that goes on for about three months. 16 contestants are chosen to be put in a house where they will compete for $500,000, with no one to talk to but each other (and Julie). They have cameras on them at all times and are always miked. Each week, one person is voted out of the house by their house guests. There are also three competitions a week.

The first competition is "Head of Household" (HOH). This competition can be intellectual, physical, or both. When someone is "HOH", they have a room to themselves and get a letter from their family. They also get to nominate two people to go up on the chopping block to be evicted from the house. The "HOH" is essentially safe for the week.

The second competition is for the "have-nots". Whoever loses this competition, normally a group of four, end up being the "have-nots" for the week. This means that they can only eat slop, have to sleep in an uncomfortable room where the lights never turn off, and they have to take cold showers.

The third competition is what I think the most important: the "Power of Veto". Whoever wins this competition has the opportunity to veto one of the HOH's nominations. The person who wins, if they decide to take someone off the chopping block, cannot go up as a replacement. They can screw up the plan that the house guests have formulated.

It's a show where the motto is, "Expect the unexpected."

Add in to the mix a bunch of drama, and you're in for a fun-filled summer. The show airs on CBS this Wednesday, June 28th at 8 o'clock. It's on three times a week: Sundays at 8 ET, Wednesdays at 8 ET, and Thursdays at 9 ET.

It's a show full of heartache, joy, and anger. It's also a very hard game to play. Pick your favorite person and root for them to go all the way! I hope you tune in to watch the season premiere. Happy summer! :)