Beyond Miyazaki

Beyond Miyazaki

Good Animated Movies Not by Hayao Miyazaki

15
Beyond Miyazaki
Deviant Art

So you've seen every Hayao Miyazaki movie ever made and now have run out of things to watch? Maybe you just want to branch out a bit, find some other animated movie you can watch over and over again. Here are some non-Miyazaki animated movies that you may enjoy!

1. "Children Who Chase Lost Voices"

This is an animated feature by Makoto Shinkai, who has been called a "new Miyazaki" in some reviews but he has said that statement is an overestimation. He has released some other films, his early work veering toward science fiction, but this movie is arguably his most famous and the one that is the most similar to a Miyazaki movie. In fact, the similarities between a Miyazaki movie and this movie can get a bit too similar, but it is enjoyable none the less.

2. "April and the Extraordinary World"

Now, this is a French film (there is an English dub) co-directed by Christian Desmares and Franck Ekinci with visuals based on the style of famous French cartoonist Jacques Tardi. The only way to describe it is extraordinary as in involves 1940's France, kidnapped scientists (like Einstein), steampunk and mutated lizards, one of which is played by Susan Sarandon in the English version.

3. "Summer Wars"

Mamoru Hosoda is another amazing Japanese director who has other fantastic films you should check out, but this is generally his best-received film. It also has an amazing English dub as well. This movie deals with social media and the dangers of AI (artificial intelligence) but is really at heart about family, and the main family is definitely badass. Also, it might introduce you to the card game Koi Koi, which I love to play.

4. "Tokyo Godfathers"

I love Satoshi Kon, but he is much more surreal than Miyazaki and wouldn't be the best for younger kids, so I struggled to pick one of his films. Out of all of them, the best one to start with I think would be this one which deals with three homeless people, a middle-aged man, a young runaway, and an old drag queen who find a lost baby on Christmas Eve and set out to try and find her parents. While it certainly is less straightforward than a Miyazaki work this movie doesn't get as surreal as some of Satoshi's other work.

5. "The Illusionist"

This is another French film this time directed by Sylvain Chomet, who has also directed another fantastic film, "The Triplets of Belleville," which is more comedic/absurdist in tone. This film is based on an unproduced script by the famous French mime Jacques Tati. Based heavily off of feelings Tati held for his estranged daughter it involves a relationship between a down-on-his-luck illusionist know as Tatischeff and a young girl named Alice who comes to believe he has supernatural powers. While the film is more melancholy than a Miyazaki movie it is one you should see.