Beyond The Donald: The Danger Of A GOP Government Led By Trump

Most people concerned about a Trump Administration seem to lack concern for what the future of the Republican Party holds.

9
Rebecca Cook/Rueters

Everybody is freaking out about Donald Trump and rightfully so. The last year or so has been filled with headlines about all of the absolutely ridiculous and awful things that Trump has uttered during his insurgent campaign. From labeling Mexicans and rapists and criminals, to proposing a ban on all new Muslim immigrants and establishing a special government database just for Muslims, and promising to build a giant wall on the southern U.S. border with Mexico, Donald Trump has certainly made his place in electoral history as one of the most unstable, racist, and xenophobic candidates to ever run. Then there are the countless other offensive things that Trump has said about fellow Republicans, women, and minorities along the way too.

However, most of the people concerned about a Trump Administration seem to lack concern for what the future of the Republican Party holds. At this point in the game, most people are betting with confidence on the victory of Hillary Clinton in November. While there are a variety of quantitative indicators that Clinton has the upper hand, the election is still over two months away and a lot can happen. Millions of people underestimated Trump before and then he stole the Republican nomination and ran with it. It is entirely possible for Trump to retool his campaign and start gaining ground on Hillary Clinton, especially since her campaign has pulled ads from Colorado and Virginia as a premature display of confidence.

Already Trump seems to be lifting his campaign out of the three week death spiral that followed his nomination at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland. Trump’s campaign manager Paul Manafort resigned this week and the candidate himself gave a speech apologizing for anybody who was offended by his rhetoric. He still has a lot of catching up to do, but it is not impossible that Trump could run away with the election.

If Trump pulls off a victory in November, this will mean two things. First, his election will likely have a down ballot effect that will allow the GOP to hold onto its majorities in both the House of Representatives and in the Senate. Second, GOP power brokers across the country will do whatever is necessary to elect Trump, from raising money to mobilizing voters across all factions of the Republican Party. Trump already polls well with the most conservative voters, including evangelicals, so his election will be interpreted by the GOP base as a mandate to govern. All of a sudden, the most conservative Republican Party in decades will have complete control over the federal government and it will be open season for GOP lawmakers.

One should look no further than to the GOP’s policy platform released last month at their national convention. It was to be expected that the platform would contain language asserting the typical Republican agenda of God, Guns, and Gays, meaning that GOP policies would center around commonplace conservative principles on gun rights, religion, and social policy, notably LGBT-related issues. However, the degree of rigidity and extremism has come to a surprise for many Americans, even those within the ranks of the GOP.

Arguably the most hostile language in the party platform is aimed at LGBT Americans. Over a year after the Supreme Court determined marriage equality a constitutional right, the GOP is not only calling for a reinstatement of “traditional marriage” laws, but openly advocating for the appointment of federal judges, including to fill in the late Antonin Scalia’s vacant Supreme Court seat, who will overturn the ruling and constitutionally limit marriage to between one man and one woman. Federal benefits to same-sex partners could be completely revoked. The surprisingly successful debate on transgender rights and protections would essentially be halted, at least in the hallowed halls of Capitol Hill, and a new slew of laws, similar to North Carolina House Bill 2, the “Bathroom Bill,” would be ushered in at all levels of government.

If that isn’t enough, the GOP platform strongly suggests that all new public appointees should be Christians with traditional views on marriage and family. Perhaps most stunning of all was the inclusion of a provision that states parents have the right to make medical decisions regarding their children without interference from the state, which was a suggestion that an endorsement of gay conversion therapy could be in the making. That is quite a turnaround from just a year ago when New Jersey Governor and former Donald Trump vice Presidential hopeful Chris Christie signed a bill into law explicitly forbidding the controversial and psychologically devastating practice in his state.

Additionally, funding to Planned Parenthood will be cut dramatically, leaving millions of low-income women without access to healthcare. The tax code will be overhauled to give the wealthiest Americans a significant tax cut which will wreak havoc on the federal budget and further jeopardize everything from infrastructure spending, to education, and healthcare. Not to mention a massive tax cut will only increase the federal deficit and increase the risk of a default. Immigration policy will become exceptionally restrictive and that will undermine U.S. productivity, as well as economic competition abroad. The progress with civil liberties in the American Judiciary under the Obama Administration, especially with LGTB rights, will be dramatically reversed as President Trump and GOP-controlled Congress fill lower court vacancies with ultra-conservative judges. Let’s not forget about Antonin Scalia’s vacant Supreme Court seat too.

Then there are the pressing issues that won’t be addressed. Congress won’t do anything about reducing violence between law enforcement and men and women of color. They won’t address the mounting student debt crisis or the general plague of economic inequality that has caused wages to stagnate, issues that affect Americans regardless of partisan affiliation. They won’t invest in clean energy sources, invest in mass transit, or take steps to reduce the United States’ contribution to climate change. Let’s not even get started on the implications Trump’s government would have a foreign relations and trade policy. You think ISIS is mad now? Just wait until the war hawks start sending more troops and dropping more bombs in the Middle East.

Trump himself has proposed enough ludicrous ideas so far this election season. If he gets into the White House in November, he will head a newly empower, extremely conservative Republican Party that will make up for the eight years of the Obama Administration by cramming through right-wing proposals, not dissimilar to how the Democrats pushed through the Affordable Care Act in 2010. That one did not work out so well either given that healthcare is now even more expensive than before. Just imagine what an onslaught of poorly planned GOP policy would do the economy and the country. Hillary Clinton may hold her lead and walk right back into the White House in 2017, rendering all of this upheaval about Trump useless. Then again, she may not.