Better Than Selfishness

Better Than Selfishness

“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” ― Oscar Wilde

11
Better Than Selfishness
ehealthiq.com

Selfishness is the worst trait a person can embody. Whether it means only wanting to talk about yourself, or only worrying about your own happiness, or only talking to someone when it benefits you, or just wanting solely what’s best for you—disregarding everyone else along the way, there is no trait more unappealing. In a world where there are so many opportunities to meet people, help people, and care for people, selfish should be the last thing a person chooses to be. In a world where you can make friends who you look after, give happiness to so many people—selfishness should not even be an option. In a time where things are constantly changing and people are always in need, put others first, and worry about yourself later. You will always be there, the chance to make a difference won't be.

There are so many things I would rather fill my life with than selfishness--so many ways I would rather act than selfish

Hold the door open for someone.

It may seem simple and an obvious gesture, but you'd be surprised how many people who are in a rush or wrapped up in their own world so easily forget to do so. Nothin' says I'm the only one that matters like a door to the face, huh?

Ask how others are doing.

Again, seems like a given one—but trust me, there never fails to be that one person who is more than happy talking about themselves for hours on end before asking once about your day.

Make sacrifices.

We have all experienced a time when we needed to ask someone to do something for us—whether it be to run a simple errand or give us a ride somewhere. Yet, it would take a lot more than a simple please to get some people to want to do the same thing in return. It may not always be what makes you happy, but that's part of life. Make sacrifices for other people just to make other people happy, simple as that.

Give an hour.

It's so easy to get caught up in the chaos of life, but trust me, an hour of putting your responsibilities on the back burner won't actually kill you. Grab coffee with your friend, call your grandma, take some time for the people who make your life a happier one—don’t push them aside while you fail to put your immediate tasks on hold.

Smile anyway.

You may not want to eat where your lunch date wants to eat or do what your grandma has planned for you, or wear the gift you got for your birthday. Smile anyway, life’s short, and sometimes it's okay to put the happiness of others on top for a minute.

Take perspective.

Sometimes avoiding selfishness is all about looking at a situation from the opposing view. How would you feel if it were you, how would you handle a situation if it were reversed? Take some perspective and a lot of your selfish, thoughtless reactions will be avoided.

Simply be kind.

Random acts of kindness, whether it be sending an “I’m thinking of you” card, or surprising someone with their favorite coffee—it seems little, but these are some of my favorite things to come home to after a long day.

Selfishness is unappealing. Be kind to others, put their happiness first, smile just to smile. You will be amazed by all of the positive effects it'll have on your life and the people in it. Surround yourself with the people who bring out the absolute best in you--who bring out the kindness in you. Don’t get wrapped up in a world all about you. After all, there are millions and millions of people in this world, what on earth makes ya think you’re the only important one?