New Year, New Me?

New Year, New Me?

My resolution is to be a better version of me.

6
weknowyourdreams.com

It's that time of year again, folks. The phrase "New Year, New Me" rolls out its red carpet and makes its way to everyone's Instagram captions and Facebook posts. I get it; with a new year, it's fun and exciting to set new goals for yourself that you want to accomplish throughout the year. This year, I'm going with a new phrase: "New year, BETTER me." That's right. My new year's resolution is not to change who I am, it is to become a better, more focused, and more Godly version of myself. My awesome, yet easily attainable New Year's Resolutions are as follows:

1. Attend church more.

That one is pretty simple. I've adjusted my work availability to only schedule me on Sundays if they absolutely need me, so now there is no excuse.

2. Incorporate exercise more regularly into my schedule.

I am an Exercise and Sport Science major, so I want to try and figure out ways that I can incorporate small amounts of exercise into my daily routine. I'm not talking full-on body builder type stuff. Things like parking farther away at work or on campus, taking the stairs instead of waiting for an elevator, carrying my groceries in bags on my arms instead of using a cart, etc.

3. Become more charitable.

I mean, I'm in college, so obviously I can't go overboard and give $25 every week during offering, BUT I can do small things every now and then that can help a lot of people. Things like taking my leftover clothes that Plato's Closet wouldn't buy and giving them to the Raleigh Rescue mission, or giving $5 to $10 a month to my church. No, it isn't a lot, but it is something that will help people.

4. Try to put money into savings.

Again, because I'm in college and I work to pay for my school and things, I can't put half of my paycheck in savings. Just $10 in savings a month will result in $120 per year, which adds up quickly!

You see, none of these things change who I am fundamentally, making the phrase "new year, new me" totally irrelevant. Honestly, no one should strive to change who they are or set resolutions that are extreme and unrealistic. We should strive to make ourselves better every year, step by step. No more "New Year, New Me," am I right? How about, "New Year, Better Me."