"Better Call Saul" Review: Season 2 Episode 9: Nailed

The episode starts very much like you’d expect an episode of "Breaking Bad" to start when we see Mike’s plan go into fruition. Who would have guessed that a gardening hose with nails would make for an efficient spike strip? And who would have guessed that tires would be a good place to smuggle money? It was awesome to see Mike handle the situation very Mike like, by being stealthy and tactical. It was refreshing to see how laid back Mike was once he felt like he had closure with Hector. He bought rounds for everyone in a bar, he flirted with the waitress at the café; Mike was on top of the world, he nailed it! (pun intended.) However, once he got the money and his revenge, we see the consequences of his actions later in the episode. A good samaritan lost his life and Mike couldn’t help but feel responsible after hearing that. When Nacho is grilling him, he seems rather collected and foreknowing that Nacho knowing about what he did doesn’t affect him. Only when he hears how Hector killed the good samaritan do we see him look as if he feels like he is responsible.

I don’t think I would have ever thought to see a bank meeting on television be exciting. Chuck made sure everything was in order before going to that meeting. When Hamlin tells him that he made a mistake, Chuck assures himself that the only explanation was that his brother betrayed him. Chuck has spent his entire career making sure every case was in order and he knows what his brother is capable of as he says so himself. Once Jimmy interferes with Chuck’s career, Chuck feels like Jimmy has crossed the line. He doesn’t hold back any punches either when he is telling Kim about what he believes Jimmy did and boy is Chuck smart. When he tells Kim all of this, she looks as if she believes him. She is aware that Jimmy is capable of breaking the rules, but she is still willing to side with Jimmy.She loves Jimmy and she knows that Jimmy did it for her just as Chuck said so Kim is willing to defend Jimmy.When Kim tells Chuck that she knows Jimmy’s not perfect, you can sense how much she cares for him and at the same time knows that Chuck is right. In the end of the scene when Kim and Jimmy are in the car, you can get a sense that she has a love/ hate feeling for him and once you see how she is willing to be on board with Jimmy when she talks to him in bed, you get a sense that Jimmy’s slyness is rubbing off on Kim.

On a last note, it was also really interesting to see how smart Chuck was in connecting the dots. He figures out that Jimmy doctored the documents and even finds the exact copy store where he did it and it was fascinating to also see how Jimmy’s actions had consequences much like Mike’s actions did. This proved to be another great episode that made for an intense experience that will lead us into an interesting season finale.

SCORE: 9/10