Who Is Beto O’Rourke? Meet Ted Cruz's Democrat Challenger
Politics

Who Is Beto O'Rourke? The Democrat Outraising Ted Cruz With Grassroots Support

Beto O'Rourke is a Democrat nominee running against Ted Cruz for a US Senate seat in Texas.

297
Ashley Brooke Boyd

Elections are coming up in November, and if you live in Texas, you know that Ted Cruz is up for re-election. Senators, once elected, have a high chance of reelection, but Beto O'Rourke, a Democrat, is giving Cruz a run for his money. Literally. So who exactly is Beto?

In the political world, he's a U.S. Representative for El Paso. He was elected in 2012 and has served in Congress on the House Committees for Armed Services and Veterans Affair. Some of his policies include quality healthcare and housing for all veterans, improving the immigration system, and investing in education. If you would like to research his policies yourself, you can find all the information here.

So now that you know a little bit about who he is... why should you care? For starters, he doesn't take a single cent from PACs (Political Action Committees), so you know he will vote the way he thinks is best for the people and NOT the way a big organization tells him to. AND he's outraised Ted Cruz (who does accept money from PACs) by over half.

I had the pleasure of listening to Beto O'Rourke speak last week at a town hall meeting, and he was an eloquent public speaker. He also took time to answer questions and to take pictures with every single person who wanted one (there were over 600 people in attendance). From what I've gathered, he truly cares about the people of Texas.

Remember his name, as he could possibly be the next U.S. Senator for Texas. His campaign is gaining traction and will only continue to do so.

Remember, before you vote it's very important to research ALL the candidates to see which one you agree with the most. Don't vote straight Democrat or Republican unless you agree the most with everyone you are voting for.