Beta Fish Care

Beta Fish Care

For the college students who are too lazy to look on Google for fish care instructions.
126

Fish are the only pets allowed at most colleges, and my college is no exception. There have been multiple times that group messages within floors or whole buildings have been asked questions pertaining to fish care. What college students still seem to lack is the basic understanding of Google, which will give them all of the information that they need. So I have taken the liberty of compiling a step by step list on how to care for (beta) fish, directed at college students.

1. Buy a fish.
2. Buy a tank for your fish along with any desired accessories, fish food, and a water purifier.
3. Take your fish back to your dorm and name it.
4. Set up your fish tank. Put in the accessories (rocks, plants, housing unit).
5. Add water to your fish tank. If you use tap water, make sure to add the purifying liquid (follow the instructions on the bottle).
6. Put your fish, still inside the container you got it in, inside the fish tank to get it acclimated to the water. Wait an hour.
7. Slowly dump your fish into their new tank along with the water that was in the container you got it in. Make sure the tank is only 80% full of water so that the fish does not jump out.
8. Put your tank in a safe place in your dorm where it won't get knocked over.
9. Feed your fish every other day. (Yes fish can get fat). Feed your fish a variety of food.
10. Keep your fish tank between 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit to keep your fish healthy.
11. Clean 20% of your fish tank's water out every week. Make sure you purify the new water you replace it with.
12. Clean your whole tank out as needed. Do not use soap. Use clean water and a brush.
13. Your fish tank does not require an artificial light even when it is night time, so the natural light that comes into your room will be fine.
14. Remember that any extreme temperature differences will stress your fish out.
15. Make sure if you are going away for a long period of time you have someone to take care of your fish for you or that you take it with you.
16. Love your fish.

And that my fellow college students, is pretty much all of the information that you need to know. Anything else you can find in the magical world of Google.