Besties For Life

Besties For Life

What the hell would I do without you?

44
Besties For Life
Jill Murphy

My bestie and I have literally known each other our entire lives. Ever since we were born, we were placed in the same orphanage in China and were adopted together in the same China group (along with some other girls) when we were infants. From there, my family and hers never lived far apart. We always got together on the weekends and had sleepovers, took swimming lessons and dance classes together, and even attended the same performing arts high school. For the majority of our lives, we've never been able to escape each other's presence. I guess that isn't too bad, but we can get on each other's nerves, but even when we're fighting and throwing things at each other, we're still best friends. At this moment I'm not furious with her and love her, so here are a few reasons why she's my bestie for life.

1. She understands the struggle of being Asian.

When we've gone out in public multiple times, people can't seem to understand what "type" of Asian we are. People guess where we come from (and often guess wrong) and stereotype us, joking about eating dogs and cats as well as not being able to speak English. People can be complete assholes, and sometimes we wish we were white. We're so Americanized that the people in our homeland wouldn't even consider us to be them. When people first meet us, and we haven't talked to them, it naturally seems like they expect us to speak Mandarin, or at least have an accent when we talk, but no, you're wrong!

2. She's always reliable and supportive despite my idiotic decisions.

In the past, I've done completely idiotic things, and she is well aware of this. It doesn't matter if I'm in the middle of making a potentially life-ruining decision, she'll still support me. And she does this free of judgment. I can be completely open and honest with her, and she'll never judge. She'll respect my decision, and even if it isn't wise, she's always there for me.

3. She gives great, no bullshit advice.

My bestie tends to be straight up with me (refer to the previous point). She doesn't beat around the bush like some people I know, and she isn't afraid to honestly speak her mind when I ask for her opinion on something. Simple as that.

4. We can reference inside jokes and people will think we're speaking jibberish.

On multiple occasions, we bring up random memories from our past and no one has any idea what we're referring to. At one point in high school we were in homeroom and started saying one or two words to each other, and despite what little communication we had, both of us still understood what the other was talking about. Meanwhile, our friends standing next to us were extremely confused and had absolutely no clue as to what we were discussing. It's pretty great when those perfect moments happen.

5. She's a great listener.

She doesn't listen to me rant just to respond, rather she listens closely and takes what I say seriously. She only gives me advice when I ask for it and doesn't butt in with her opinion just so she can say the last word.

6. She knows what I love (Tom Felton, Parmesan cheese, Canadian maple syrup).

I literally never have to remind her what I love. She just automatically knows. When we exchange gifts, she always gives me one that perfectly suits my personality. One year she gave me an "Aristocats" snowglobe, another year she gave me "Lady and the Tramp" plushies, and one time for my birthday, even created a handmade book featuring my favorite quotes, inside jokes, and pictures of hot guys.

7. She never fails to make me feel better about myself.

Whenever I'm lacking confidence or feel down about a certain situation, she encourages me and brightens my day by either recalling a dumb memory we shared on one of our multiple vacations or reminding me of how great a friend I can be. It seems like no matter what she says, she cheers me up.

8. We have a telepathic connection (twin telepathy).

On multiple occasions, she and I think of the exact same words or exact same situation we previously experienced together at the same time. Usually, we end up saying the same thing at the same time and end up laughing about it, also confusing the people around us (refer to point four).

9. She isn't afraid of acting stupid with me.

Sometimes the two of us can be total idiots. Once when we and a group of other students from high school went to Canada on a random trip, we split a large bag of Canadian maple syrup candies, and we became so hyper. We ended up quoting a bunch of YouTube videos (Potter Puppet Pals) on the bus ride back, and we freaked our friend out.

10. When I want to kill someone she has my back and would murder for me in a heartbeat.

Sometimes I despise people, especially when they ask dumb questions that the professor's literally just addressed two minutes ago. Whoever I tell her to hunt down, she'll do it.

11. She understands the struggle of our parents telling random strangers our adoption story.

Whenever our parents use to go to restaurants, they'd sometimes get to talking with another couple who'd ask about us. Ultimately they'd jump at the opportunity to tell our adoption story to anyone who asked (or even those who didn't) just to brag about us and how cool we were.

12. She groans when people mistake us for twins (Chris from Jump5).

Although we don't look anything alike, people apparently think we do because they're racist bastards. On too many occasions we've been asked if we're twins. When we first started high school, and even throughout sophomore year (remember we attended the same one), people asked all the time. Literally all the time. One of the more memorable moments happened at a Jump5 concert when we were around 10 or so. After it was over, we got the band members' autographs, and the hottest member, Chris, asked us if we were twins. Although that particular situation wasn't bad, it definitely got tiring over the years.

Sarah, you better read this, and if you don't, you're a shit best friend. I love you.