To My Best Friend On Her Birthday
popular

To My Best Friend On Her Birthday

Birthdays, AKA the one time of year you get to be incredibly sappy and they have to appreciate it.

20781
To My Best Friend On Her Birthday
Aran McDermott

This letter is dedicated to my best friend, my forever person, my soul sister on her favorite day of the year.

Dear Devin,

I can't believe we made it to February. I know you've been counting down the days even before we got to Alabama in August, especially considering I heard "it's _____ months until my birthday" a hundred times. I've honestly never known a person more excited about their birthday, and it makes me extremely happy to share it with you, so I wrote this letter to share with you as well.

I don't think I've ever been happy about someone "sliding into my DMs" before until that day in December that you messaged me on Instagram. I figure every couple has a meet-cute story and, considering we're practically a couple, that was ours. I don't remember the exact message but I know it was about cookies; the fact that I had baked ones that looked identical to the ones you had just bought.

Throughout that winter, I had been desperately looking for someone to room with the following fall and for some inexplicable reason, when I saw you talking in the Alabama 2021 GroupMe, I had a very strong feeling that I would like you. So, when you messaged me, I was almost giddy (a weird emotion to feel but what I felt all the same). And from that moment on we never stopped talking. I'm almost certain you knew more about me and I more about you than some of the people that actually knew us did, all before we had even met in person.

When we finally did meet in person at Bama Bound in June, it felt like reuniting with an old friend, someone I had known for forever. I'm certain Bama Bound would have been agony without you there with me.

When we finally got to Alabama officially, I was so nervous. I wasn't quite sure how everything was going to be. The whole drive down, my stomach was in knots. Then, as soon as I saw you, everything felt better. I knew we were in it together and that we truly had each other's backs, even if we had only known each other for a couple months. Sometimes, although very rarely, you just know.

Now we've finished our first semester and have experienced so many things together. From gamedays to parties, to vacations, and finals; we've done it all. Sometimes good and sometimes bad but always okay in the end. I'm honestly not sure if I could have made it through my first semester without you. There were times when I felt like giving up but you helped me, sometimes in ways you didn't even realize. And I cannot thank you enough for that.

We've also learned so much about each other to the point where I'm almost certain there aren't any more things left unknown. Everything we tell each other, no matter what it's about, only brings us closer.

Now it's your birthday. You're nineteen years old and finally legal in ALL 50 states. I can't wait to see what this year will bring for you. You deserve the world and this is your year to grab it. I'll always be by your side and I'm ready to create so many new memories with you in the multitude of birthdays that will come in the future.

You're my best friend forever and I love you.

Your Soul Sister,

Aran