Does This Have To Be The End?

Does This Have To Be The End?

We are told our happiness ends when our school work ends, but is that really true?

64
Does This Have To Be The End?
Alexis Bass

Though it is normal to dread waking up for classes and having to do school work all of the time, it's also normal to be afraid of a life without it. As a college student, I'm told all of the time that I need to enjoy these years while I have them. That absolutely terrifies me considering how much time flies when you are having fun. I wonder every day what life is going to be like when I'm done. Of course, I was set up to visualize that life with stress and sadness--just like I lived my life throughout grade school.

I don't want to see it like that anymore. I understand that I choose my happiness and joy. I don't want to live life thinking that these four years are the last piece of good I get.

I remember starting Middle School
And I remember wanting to leave every single day
Just to take that new step into High School,
And even starting those years,
I still couldn't wait to get out.

All those years I desired
for those last days to come
Because I was told that College will be the best,
The best years of my life.

Now here I am, along with hundreds of thousands of kids
Finishing up our first year of college;
Nothing but sadness
Because we are one step closer to it all being over.

The best few years of our lives
come to an end so fast:
Some of us with only 4 years
Some with only a few more or a few less.

I have spent so much of my life
Feeling grateful for the summer,
But with this new love and passion for school
I can't wait until the next semester.

So, what’s to happen when it's all over?
When the best years of my life are gone.
There are so many questions
And not enough answers.

But, just because everyone says,
"These are the best four years of your life,"
Doesn't mean you can't make the most of every year--
All the years before and after.

We are capable of so much,
We decide our actions and our feelings.
Choose to enjoy every day,
And choose to make every year your best year.

Middle school bullies can be a drag,
And high school drama can tear you down;
The pressure of growing up can be overwhelming,
But, you are key to overcoming it all.

If you're still in high school or middle school, please take this as a sign: enjoy it! There's much more to come, but that doesn't mean what you have now isn't worth appreciating.

If you're all grown up and out of school, this is also your sign. Those years in school don't have to represent your best years. You are your best years.

Life is about living. Don't forget to live--no matter how young or old you are. Choose to make each year worth it (Even a year like the one we are in now).