Single For The Holidays

Single For The Holidays

Riding solo for the holidays isn't such a bad thing.

12
Single For The Holidays
Sherish

Best time of the year just got even better.

As we all know, the holiday season is in full swing. Turkeys have been carved and faces have been stuffed. I notice every time around this time of year people tend to go from Singlefor the Summerto Kiss Me Under the Mistletoe like the flip of the switch. Some may actually start to panic and become flustered because they do not have a significant other during this time of the year; which is crazy. C'mon now, whether you are single are not, the world will continue to turn and the holidays will still come and go... breathe. On the other hand if you're like me who are single and ready to brace the holidays alone, here are reasons why we actually have the upper hand.

Treat Yourself.

While everyone is out shopping on Black Friday for gifts, we shop for ourselves. There is nothing wrong with spending that extra cash on cash on yourself. Weren't you going to spend the money on gifts for someone else anyways? Plus, it is your money.

Pretending to like a gift.

Ever get a gift that you instantly hated as soon as you opened it? Yeah, being single we do not have to worry about what someone is going to get us. We do not have to fake our enthusiasm, which is probably the one thing I hate doing.

Figuring out which side to visit first.

Our schedule consists of our family functions only. We do not have to worry about whose family to visit and what time. We take our happy butts where ever and when ever as we please.

Leave the party when you want.

If you are not having a good time, or are tired and want to leave, you can. Just get on up, finish your drink, say your goodbyes and you are on your way. There is no asking your significant other what time they want to leave. Don't even get me started on when you are in a new relationship and your answer to everything for the first few months is, "I don't care, babe. Whatever you want," PLEASE... there is no such thing as having the same opinion on everything. The only opinion that ways in on when it's time to leave is yours. That alone is a celebration on itself.

Stories of your childhood are not embarrassing.

We all have them and there is always the one family member that brings up the stories. It can be your overly, loving aunt or your sibling; either you can count on them to bring something up. This time, what you did fifteen years ago will not make your cheeks turn red. In fact, you may just laugh and let her pride fly. Everyone that is already there will have already heard your story.

Avoiding the marriage & baby carriage Q's.

I know this has happened to myself plenty of times and there's no doubt in my mind that you have been a victim yourself. You get done with the introductions and everything seems to be at ease but sometime throughout the night, good ole Grandma makes her way to you and your significant other. You know what's coming too because you see her big smile and her eyes light up. "When are you going to pop the question sweetie? Grandma isn't going to be around forever you know.. I'd love to see my favorite grandchild give me a great grand baby." Worst part, even if you don't want kids or you and your other haven't been together for very long you just smile and hug Grandma. No one says no to Grandma, she did bring your favorite food too.

Drink with ease.

Grab that beer or another glass of egg nog. The only people there will not go running for the hills because you're getting tipsy during Christmas. They are your family and whether they like it or not, they're stuck with you. Have fun, let loose, kick off your shoes, and drink some booze.

Retire the Razor.

It's winter, the time for pants, sweaters, and scarfs. Also, when you can stop shaving. Well, that is if you are single. Why on earth would I shave my legs if I'm going to wear pants?! No one is going to be in my bed for me to rub my legs on when we cuddle so why shave them? My legs are happily in my leggings and in between the sheets. Or if you happen to blessed with the ability to grow a strong beard, let it be wild and free. No one is judging you or bothered by it, be free caveman.

Wear your ugly PJ's proudly.

Don't you just love hanging around the house in your favorite comfy clothes? They may be worn and ragged with holes in the knees but they are your comfy clothes. They are not going anywhere. They also, are not the first thing you bring out of the closet when your significant other comes to spend the night. Your grandpa pants may stay in the room for a couple months until your comfortable. Not this year my friend. Wear those pants all you want, answer the door when your food is delivered or wear them for the entire weekend. No one can judge you.

You may be single during the holidays but it will not be the end of all the holiday fun. Go black Friday shopping, just treat yourself. It's your money, you worked for it, and you deserve those shoes you have been eyeing for the past few months. Your feet and mind will thank you. Have a few drinks and share stories with the family, you're not alone. Hey, you could show up to the Christmas diner with the family in your comfy clothes and they will still hug you at the door. The people there are what matter, don't be the Grinch because your love life is non-existent. While everyone is sharing pictures with their significant others by the tree, grab the dog or cat and post that picture. I guarantee you'll get more likes on it than the high school sweethearts that got engaged. We all wish we could do whatever we want whenever we want. The ball is in your court my friend, live it up while you can.