5 Undervalued TV Shows You Should Stream

5 Undervalued TV Shows You Should Stream Before You Have To Start Doing Homework Again

Unwind with these incredible shows that people forget about.

131

While college is stressful and requires hours of studying, it is important to set aside time for yourself. As a TRF student, one of my favorite activities is watching TV shows when I need a break from the world around me. Here is a selection of my favorite shows to stream that you may have not watched.

1. The Boys (Amazon/Rotten Tomatoes S1: 82%)

[For superhero lovers and those seeking justice]

In a world obsessed with Superheroes, here's a fresh take on what it would be like to have these godly people living among us. While I found the show to be jarring due to its gore, violence, and crude behavior, the overall story is fascinating, and the superheroes are symbolic of politicians and their lack of accountability. A group of vigilantes seeks out the untouchable superheroes to hold them accountable for their actions. Although the eight-episode show is largely a comedy based on a comic book series, it grapples with the question of who suffers the consequences when superheroes inflict damage and destruction upon society. The show has done so well that it has been renewed for a season two and is revered as Amazon's highest-rated original series.

Themes: Revenge, Action, Comedy, Violence

2. Derry Girls (Netflix/Rotten Tomatoes S1: 100%/S2: 96%)

[For comedy lovers and UK humor enthusiasts]

Rarely have I seen a show that so masterfully combines humor with a historical period that is relevant to our modern-day. "Derry Girls" follows a group of high school friends in Northern Ireland during the 90s, a time when civil unrest and terror overshadowed everyday life. This show is especially dear to me since it is an excellent portrayal of the students at the British International high school I attended. While it's only a six-episode season, with each around 25 minutes long, viewers will be left satisfied with the abundance of humor and shocking events that these friends find themselves dealing with. The second season just premiered on Netflix after the critical success of season one.

Themes: Comedy, Friendship, Drama, History

3. Dear White People (Netflix/Rotten Tomatoes S1: 98%/S2: 100%/S3: 87%)

[For the social justice warrior and those who appreciate well-written scripts]

Netflix just released its third season, and I continue to be stunned by the unique writing that features some of my favorite dialogues and witty banter. The show revolves around the protagonist Sam who runs a radio show on her college campus called Dear White People. She uses the platform to educate the masses on microaggressions and other forms of racism that may not otherwise be apparent to non-POC. This show excels in its use of pop culture references and depicting POC situations. It's also a realistic illustration of college life as it explores parental expectations, LGBTQ relationships, and stressing over classes. Based on an indie film of the same name, Netflix has managed to create a vivid world that the film lacked.

Themes: Comedy, Romance, LGBTQ, Mystery

4. Sense8 (Netflix/Rotten Tomatoes S1: 72%/S2: 93%)

[For fans of culturally diverse plot lines and sci-fi]

The Wachowski siblings, who created "The Matrix" trilogy, have established a nuanced show on love and the various ways it manifests within our life. It's filled with action, loads of sex, and uses graphic scenes to normalize non-heteronormative relationships. While I never expected an orgy scene to be one of my favorite parts of a show, the brilliant use of editing shown throughout the show makes the scene visually stunning. With a unique premise following eight people throughout the planet who are telepathically connected to one another, the show begins with a hunt for these people that are questioning their newfound identity and uncover an organization that is trying to eradicate them. This show is specifically awe-inspiring since it follows characters in America, India, South Korea, Kenya, Mexico, Iceland, and Germany among other places. Initially, it takes a few episodes for the characters to realize what is happening and discover their abilities. Despite being canceled by Netflix in 2018, the show should still be viewed for its brilliant diversity of identities, unique portrayal of cultures through plot lines, and distinct cinematography featuring the most beautiful places on earth.

Themes: Sci-Fi, Action, Romance, LGBTQ

5. On My Block (Netflix/Rotten Tomatoes S1: 95%/S2: 100%)

[For fans of teen comedies, excellent soundtracks, and cultural perspectives]

Despite the first few episodes of this teen comedy, which are super sexist and hard to swallow, the rest of "On My Block" is phenomenal and a prime example of a binge-able show. While the tone is very comedic, the show portrays life growing up within a neighborhood plagued by gang brutality from the perspective of four loveable teenagers. Storylines depicting families separated by deportation, a hunt for stolen money, gun violence, and young romance make this show one of the most insightful and moving projects I've watched. If that isn't enough to interest you, it also features one of my favorite supporting characters ever, Jasmine Flores. She's a queen of self-love and doesn't care about what others think of her. We should all aspire to become more free-spirited like Jasmine.

Themes: Comedy, Drama, Violence, Mystery