12 TED Talks To Watch Instead Of Doing Your Homework

Might as well learn something, right?

120
Flickr

Is anyone else a massive procrastinator? Yeah, me too. Not because I don't necessarily have the motivation to do something right away (although, that does play a part), but because if I do it too early then I'll freak out and start changing everything when the first copy or try was good. So I need to find things to waste that precious time with. And if I'm going to procrastinate, then why not learn something while doing it? Why not listen to something interesting? Inspiring? Mind-blowing?

So one of the things I like to do is watch TED Talks. I shouldn't even have to explain because they are so popular and you probably know all about them anyway, maybe even have seen some of these. But anyway, these are some of my favorite TED Talks that I've procrastinated to. You're welcome. Procrastinate away.

1. Why I'm done trying to be "man enough" | Justin Baldoni

"Justin Baldoni wants to start a dialogue with men about redefining masculinity -- to figure out ways to be not just good men but good humans."

2. The revolutionary power of diverse thought | Elif Shafak

"A native of Turkey, Shafak has experienced firsthand the devastation that a loss of diversity can bring -- and she knows the revolutionary power of plurality in response to authoritarianism."

3. Why the only future worth building includes everyone | Pope Francis

"A single individual is enough for hope to exist, and that individual can be you, says His Holiness Pope Francis in this searing TED Talk delivered directly from Vatican City."

4. I grew up in Westboro Baptist Church. Here's why I left. | Megan Phelps-Roper

"What's it like to grow up within a group of people who exult in demonizing ... everyone else?"

5. How trees talk to each other | Suzanne Simard

""A forest is much more than what you see," says ecologist Suzanne Simard. Her 30 years of research in Canadian forests have led to an astounding discovery — trees talk, often and over vast distances."

6. I grew up in a cult. It was heaven -- and hell. |Lilia Tarawa

"In this raw and emotional talk, Lilia shares the reality of life in a cult, and her heart-wrenching journey to break free."

7. How to Be Happy Every Day: It Will Change the World | Jacqueline Way

"Jacqueline Way, Founder of www.365give.ca shares a secret to happiness so simple a 3 – year old can do it."

8. The danger of a single story | Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

"Novelist Chimamanda Adichie tells the story of how she found her authentic cultural voice -- and warns that if we hear only a single story about another person or country, we risk a critical misunderstanding."

9. Strange answers to the psychopath test | Jon Ronson

"Is there a definitive line that divides crazy from sane? With a hair-raising delivery, Jon Ronson, author of The Psychopath Test, illuminates the gray areas between the two."

10. My year of saying yes to everything | Shonda Rhimes

"Shonda Rhimes, the titan behind Grey's Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder, is responsible for some 70 hours of television per season, and she loves to work. "When I am hard at work, when I am deep in it, there is no other feeling," she says. She has a name for this feeling: The hum."

11. Why some of us don't have one true calling | Emilie Wapnick

"What do you want to be when you grow up? Well, if you're not sure you want to do just one thing for the rest of your life, you're not alone."

12. The art of choosing | Sheena Iyengar

"Sheena Iyengar studies how we make choices -- and how we feel about the choices we make."