6 Simple Study Tips For A Successful Semester

Helpful tips to make this semester this a successful semester.

208

1. Preparation: It isn't just about cramming it all in the day before a test.

To get the grades that you want, you have to do some background work first. This means take syllabus week seriously. Go ahead and get an agenda. Write down the important dates so that you are not surprised when the professor says there is going to be a test next class.

2. Time Management: Yes, we do more than eat, sleep and go to class.

We all participate in some extracurricular activities, such as sports clubs, sororities, or honor societies. When you take the time to plan out your study schedule take these events into consideration. Make sure that if an emergency meeting or practice is scheduled the day before a test, you have prepared and started studying beforehand.

3. Learning Style: Explore the different ways you take in information.

Are you a visual learner? Does repetition help you receive information? Do you enjoy listening to music while you study? These are important questions to ask yourself. You may not even know the exact answer yet, but still go ahead and try different things to figure out your learning style. It will help you in the long run.

4. Study Dojo: Figure out the right place for you.

Where you study has a huge impact on your success. Does the lighting effect how much information you retain? Do you like studying in the library? These are important things to consider. It will affect your studying if you are comfortable or not. If you are someone who gets distracted easily, the first floor of the library may not be the best place to settle in for a long night of studying. Just because most people op to go to the library does not mean it is the best place to study. Focus on what is best for you and that grade that you have been hoping for.

5. Study Group: Grab a study buddy.

Some people work best when studying with other people. Try it and see how you like it. This also may work with some subjects, but not so well with others. Maybe going through those history dates with a friend is helpful, but trying to study for a math test with your best friend is not as helpful. Explore your options and see if having more than brain helps you retain.

6. Extra Research: Go above and beyond.

I know this was shunned upon in high school, but now in a university, it can sometimes be beneficial. Extra research on a topic that was brought up in class will shine a light on an area that you may not quite understand. Try looking up YouTube videos on topics and discussions in class. There are tons of YouTube channels and websites dedicated to making our lives easier that explain material better than some of our professors.

It is important you know these tips because the results will vary from person to person, as well as from subject to subject. And that is ok! The important thing is to do what works. What works for you may not work for the person beside you or even the next class. Explore your options and see what works for you. In doing this, you will be setting yourself up for a successful semester.