Let's be honest: We all miss the 2000s. This decade was primetime for us babies of the 1990s.
We were living our best lives. It was the decade of wild fashion, nearly-perfect television on Disney Channel, and celebrity gossip that fueled lunch table debates. All of these helped to define the decade. However, the one thing everyone remembers from this time was music. The songs of the 2000s still live on today. Whenever they come on, you know who grew up in the 2000s because you can hear us scream the lyrics and watch us dance like we're in the music videos.
Here are all of the best songs from every college kid's favorite decade: the 2000s.
1. "The Real Slim Shady"- Eminem, 2000
This song is 18 years old and yet people still stand up and make a joke when they hear "Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?"
2."Thnks fr th Mmrs"- Fall Out Boy, 2007
11 years later and I'm still confused by the missing letters in the title...?
3. "Before He Cheats"- Carrie Underwood, 2005
7th grade Maria thought slashing tires was the epitome of cool because of this song
4. "Hollaback Girl"- Gwen Stefani, 2004
I still use this song to spell bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S.
5. "She Will Be Loved"- Maroon 5, 2002
Every girl's go-to song for their first broken heart
6. "S.O.S"- Jonas Brothers, 2007
"Cause hugs are overrated, just FYI" deserved a Grammy, in my opinion
7. "Sk8er Boi"- Avril Lavigne, 2002
This song kicked off my short lived skateboarder phase
8. "Party in the U.S.A"- Miley Cyrus, 2009
This was the anthem for every middle school girl for years to come
12. "Mr. Brightside"- The Killers, 2004
Is there anyone who doesn't scream along to the beginning of this song?
13. "Hey Ya!"- Outkast, 2003
Do kids today know what a Polaroid picture is? and the reason you shake it?
14. "Low"- Flo Rida, 2007
This song came out and everyone needed apple bottom jeans
15. "Fergalicious"- Fergie, 2006
I can only spell glamorous because of this song
16."Jenny From The Block"- Jennifer Lopez, 2002
J. Lo can do no wrong
17. "Bye Bye Bye"- NSYNC, 2000
This will go down in history as the most insane yet brilliant music video ever
18. "Best I Ever Had"- Drake, 2009
"You can have my heart or we can share it like the last slice" is still the most romantic rap line ever
19. "Drops of Jupiter"- Train, 2001
My favorite song of all time
20. "Crazy in Love"- Beyonce ft. Jay-Z, 2003
Way before Beyonce was Ms. Carter
21. "The Anthem"- Good Charlotte, 2002
This is the song I danced around in pajamas and screamed along to into a hairbrush
22. "Empire State of Mind"- Jay-Z ft. Alicia Keys, 2009
*Uses lyrics for every Instagram caption when in NYC*
23. "Umbrella"- Rihanna ft. Jay-Z, 2007
Rihanna for Queen of Everything 2018
24. "Pon de Replay"- Rihanna, 2005
Queen RiRi part 2
25. "Since U Been Gone"- Kelly Clarkson, 2004
This song makes me want an ex-boyfriend just so I can think I'm making him jealous
26. "Oops, I Did It Again"- Britney Spears, 2000
27. "Yeah!"- Usher ft. Ludacris, Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz, 2004
This song never gets old.
28. "Dani California"- The Red Hot Chili Peppers, 2006
I've heard this song for 12 years and just found out what the lyrics are...
29. "Toxic"- Britney Spears, 2003
It's Britney, Bitch
30. "It's Gonna Be Me"- NSYNC, 2000
Cue the endless J.T. memes
31. "Dirty Little Secret"- The All-American Rejects, 2005
If you haven't seen this music video, stop reading and watch it now
32. "Complicated"- Avril Lavigne, 2002
One time, I saw Avril Lavigne wear a tie and studded belt, so I bought a tie and studded belt
33. "Single Ladies"- Beyonce, 2008
*Puts hands up*
34. "7 Things"- Miley Cyrus, 2008
7th grade Maria sang this about her ex-boyfriend constantly...
35. "Lady Marmalade"- Christina Aguilera, Mya, Lil' Kim, Pink, 2001
Another song I just learned the actual lyrics of!
36. "I Kissed A Girl"- Katy Perry, 2008
This song made quite the splash in the catholic middle school scene
37. "Milkshake"- Kelis, 2003
This song was more fun when I thought it was about an actual milkshake
38. "Hips Don't Lie" - Shakira ft. Wyclef Jean, 2005
I'm ready for a Shakira comeback, ASAP.
39. "Gold Digger"- Kanye West ft. Jamie Foxx, 2005
Old school Kanye was the best Kanye: Exhibit A
40. "Stronger"- Kanye West, 2007
See previous: Exhibit B
41. "Paper Planes"- M.I.A., 2007
11 years later and this song is still stuck in my head
42. "Rehab"- Amy Winehouse, 2006
I've never missed an artist more than I miss Amy Winehouse
43. "Crank That (Soulja Boy)"- Soulja Boy, 2007
If you think I don't remember the dance to this, you would be wrong
44. "Bad Day"- Daniel Powter, 2005
This song was impossible to escape in 2005 and that still applies today
45. "Beautiful"- Christina Aguilera, 2002
The only version of this song we need is Damien at the talent show from Mean Girls
46. "The Middle"- Jimmy Eat World, 2001
*Sings along by singing 'mhmhmmhmmhm' the whole time*
47. "Survivor"- Destiny's Child ft. Da Brat, 2001
*Plays on repeat to survive the semester8
48. "Cry Me a River"- Justin Timberlake, 2002
JT post-NSYNC is my favorite JT
49. "Float On"- Modern Mouse, 2004
I've never met a person who doesn't scream "Float on, Alright" when this song is on
50. "We Belong Together"- Mariah Carey, 2005
I've come to the conclusion that Mariah doesn't age... Can I get your secrets, Mimi?
51. "SexyBack"- Justin Timberlake ft. Timbaland, 2006
Justin ditching the ramen noodle hair was the best decision of his career
52. "My Prerogative"- Britney Spears, 2004
I love this music video just for the 'drives car into a pool' scene
53. "Damaged"- Danity Kane, 2008
I'm starting a petition to bring back Danity Kane
54. "Your Body is a Wonderland"- John Mayer, 2001
My love/hate relationship with John Mayer started with this song
55. "When I Grow Up"- Pussycat Dolls, 2008
Throwback to when the scandal was over whether they sang "groupies" or "boobies." (It was groupies, obviously).
56. "If I Aint Got You"- Alicia Keys, 2003
Can I be you, Alicia? Just let me know
57. "1000 Miles"- Vaness Carlton, 2001
Cue the mini horse vine on repeat
58. "Beautiful Soul"- Jesse McCartney, 2004
Fact: It's 2018 and I still have a crush on Jesse McCartney
59. "Day N Nite"- Kid Cudi, 2009
If someone will explain to me why I think of neon lights when I hear this song, I'm open to suggestions!
60. "Your Body is a Wonderland"- John Mayer, 2006
The love/hate relationship continues