15 Slow Covers To Listen To After A Long Day

These songs are slow, somber, and reminiscent. Lay back and listen to an eclectic list of music that will either make you sleep like a baby, or cry like one.

179
Carla Viera

Songs are often up to interpretation, thus covers are a way for others to show their own interpretation. These 15 songs are all unique in style, sometimes changing bits and pieces to create their own rendition. I don't know about you, but sometimes listening to slower songs helps me wind down after a particularly exhausting day.

1. "Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley

Jeff Buckley had a moving voice, though he passed away tragically young. This song is commonly referred to as his epitaph.

Originally performed by: Leonard Cohen

2. "Somebody Else" - Ebony Day

I heard this cover on Instagram and I knew I had to find it. Her voice is ethereal.

Originally performed by: The 1975

3. "Total Eclipse of the Heart" - Sleeping at Last

This cover offers a somber tone to the Bonnie Tyler classic rock ballad. The strings in the background paired with the piano give you a warm comfort.

Originally performed by: Bonnie Tyler

4. "Lucky" - Addison Agen

Addison Agen is the primary reason I started watching The Voice again. The then 16-year-old recreated a pop song into her own slow rendition. She came in second place and you better believe she had my vote!

Originally Performed By: Britney Spears

5. "Dancing on my Own" - Calum Scott

Calum Scott auditioned for "Britain's Got Talent" with this 8-year-old cover. He changed the tempo and made the electro-pop song into the softest piano-backed cover. His powerful vocals are guaranteed to move you.

Originally performed by: Robyn

6. "Blue Velvet" - Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey knows how to deliver, especially in this classic song. The song was originally for an H&M ad, but anyone who's anyone needs to hear this song. Her haunting voice delivers a sensual feeling to your ears.

Originally performed by: Bobby Vinton

7. "Landslide" - The Smashing Pumpkins

The Smashing Pumpkins are traditionally an alternative band. Lead singer, Billy Corgan drives the song with his unusual and grunge-inspired vocals.

Originally performed by: Fleetwood Mac

8. "Jolene" - Brendan Fletcher

Featuring a second The Voice contestant, Brendan Fletcher is a one-of-a-kind individual with a gruff voice that made it to the semi-finals. With good reason too! He sang Jolene as his audition and this soulful singer didn't hold back.

Originally performed by: Ray LaMontagne

9. "Across the Universe" - Kurt Cobain

Kurt Cobain is a voice that many recognize, but most may not have heard his take on a Beatles classic. His voice is gruff and powerful, but has a sense of self as the song progresses.

Originally performed by: The Beatles

10. "Hurt" - Johnny Cash

Recorded only a few months before this classic singer-songwriter passed away, Johnny Cash remembers his life. The images paired with Cash's aged vocals bring you to tears as you realize he's saying goodbye.

Originally performed by: Nine Inch Nails

11. "Wayfaring Stranger" - Ed Sheeran

This song has religious undertones and a beautiful harmony. Ed Sheeran's cover is a remix of the original song that was written back in the 1930s. His loop pedal skills are amazing and his voice gets gradually more profound as the song carries.

Originally performed by: Burl Ives

12. "Creep" - Korn

A classic grunge song with a darker twist. Korn's lead vocalist Jonathan Davis shares a heartfelt connection to this song's impact, and for good reason.

Originally performed by: Radiohead

13. "We Are the Champions" - Marc Martel

A bit faster than the rest of the songs in this list, but for good reason. This is the closest we will ever get to Freddie Mercury. Marc Martel has been recognized as having the closest vocals to Queen's front man.

Originally performed by: Queen

14. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Tori Amos

Tori Amos's powerful and sensual vocals are paired with a haunting piano as she performs the Nirvana classic. The familiar melody is warped into a creepy lullaby that you will rock you to bed.

Originally performed by: Nirvana

15. "I Won't Give Up" - Christina Grimmie

Christina Grimmie had a popular YouTube channel where she did covers of many songs, putting her own twist on them with her complex vocals. Though the singer passed away in 2014, her channel and views continue to grow.

Originally performed by: Jason Mraz

These songs are all different and unique in their own ways even though they're all covers. If you've had a long day at work or school, these songs will bring you a serene feeling that you know you needed.