13 Actually Scary Movies To Watch In October, No 'Hocus Pocus' Here
Halloween

13 Actually Spooky Halloween Movies To Watch This October, No 'Hocus Pocus' Here

Netflix and CHILLS.

110

There is no better way to get in the Halloween spirit than to have the wits scared out of you by a scary movie. Take it from me, a horror movie and novel enthusiast, these are some of the best ones out there. The ones included on the list have been watched (and very much approved!) by me. Prepare to get spooky.

Halloween (1978)

The first one is the best, by far. If you don't know who Michael Myers is, you've probably been living under a rock.

Scare rating: 8

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Freddy Krueger will haunt your dreams. Hopefully, not literally, like the characters in this movie.

Scare rating: 8

Carrie (1976)

Stephen King, anyone? Get ready for a supernatural fright fest.

Scare rating: 7

The Sixth Sense (1999)

This movie will SERIOUSLY blow your mind. Pay close attention (you'll thank me later).

Scare rating: 7

Misery (1990)

No jump scares or gore (mostly), but straight creeps. Kathy Bates KILLS it in this role (literally).

Scare rating: 8

The Exorcist (1973)

This movie is basically the cornerstone of supernatural horror. A must watch!

Scare rating: 9

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

You won't be able to sleep after this one. Or go camping.

Scare rating: 9

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Hannibal Lector and Buffalo Bill were based on real criminals, so it's VERY peaceful knowing there are really people in the world like them!

Scare rating: 8

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Very cult-like. Very spooky.

Scare rating: 8

Poltergeist (1982)

Legend has it that the movie is cursed. Either way, viewer discretion is advised!

Scare rating: 8

The Shining (1980)

Even though Stephen King wasn't a huge fan of the way his novel turned out on screen (an understatement), I still very much enjoyed it, regardless of the way it missed the mark from the book.

Scare rating: 8

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

This movie was inspired by serial killer Ed Gein, who infamously skinned his victims to make various household items. Lovely!

Scare rating: 9

The Amityville Horror (2005)

Let's just pretend this wasn't a hoax. Regardless, the movie (and book) provide some real spooks!

Scare rating: 8