My Top 10 Best Scary Movies And Why

My Top 10 Best Scary Movies And Why

Spooky season is a little far away, but that never stopped anyone from getting a little scared.

22
My Top 10 Best Scary Movies And Why
Photo by Emre Kuzu from Pexels

Coming from someone who was afraid of scary movies forever, take my opinion with a grain of salt. More recently within the past few years, I have become a horror fanatic and I could go on and on about how much I love scary movies, so I will. Here's a list of my top 10 favorite scary movies.

The Blair Witch Project

Flickr

Now, bear with me here. I know that this movie may be way further down on some people's lists, but hear me out. I think while watching this movie, I was so immersed into the footage, that I was so convinced that it was real. Yes, I have read afterwards that it was fake, but was staged to look real, it still freaked me out nonetheless. Overall, I think that this movie is a great starter for people joining the horror community. It's not too scary, but it is a bit freaky and easy to handle.

Split

Flickr

Although this is not so much a horror movie, it was a thriller for sure. I remember going to see this in the theaters with my mom and we both had our eyes covered away from the screen looking at each other and laughing. The jump scares and the uncertainty of what would happen next really made the movie, a scary movie. It had great faces on the screen including James McAvoy and Anya Taylor-Joy. They really made the movie quite captivating and I highly recommend watching it.

The Purge

Flickr

Again, I know that this is not the first thing you think of when you think horror movie, but it is quite disturbing if you think about it. The way that this movie really focuses on the true outcome of an unhealthy relationship with our government and country. The way that things are going these days really make me fear this movie even more. The fact that this is possible and that it could potentially become our reality is what makes this scary absolutely terrifying. This is a more action packed thriller, but the reality of it makes it more horror than anything.

World War Z

Flickr

This was one of the first ever scary movies that I watched when I started getting into them. I was so scared of zombies at the time and I thought that watching it would cure my fear. I was wrong. This movie was so well done, Brad Pitt only added to the greatness of it all. It is such a fun movie to look back on and watch now because it was so scary then and now it is something that I go to watch when I'm bored. It is fun to get scared by the jumpscares and the creepy structure of their faces. A great family scary movie to watch and I definitely recommend it to younger scary movie fans.

Halloween (1978)

Flickr

Now would this really be a horror movie countdown if I didn't include any of the classics. These are the movies that really made me fall in love with the horror genre. Being a Scorpio, it was just in my nature and it really bloomed after watching the slasher movies of the 70s and 80s. This movie was the horror movie that really gave horror its title. The graphics of course are a little outdated, but is also something that makes it even better. When an old scary movie is so easily debunked with old graphics, it adds to the magic of the movie. Seeing old movies really take us back to a time where people were just starting out with horror and it really brings us back to its roots. A great movie all around of course with the work of the wonderful Jamie Lee Curtis, phenomenal.

Escape Room

Wallpaper Flare

Now this, is where the fun begins. This movie absolutely terrified me in the theaters. I wasn't sure why, but I found myself having a panic attack in the theater while watching it. I was so invested in the movie and really felt like I was there with the characters. It just terrified me that they couldn't escape, hence the title. It was so scary that these people really did not think they were going in there to die and most of them did. I am so excited waiting for the second one to come out because I will in fact be seeing it in theaters (once they open again), and I will be scared out of my mind.

It: Chapter 1

Wikimedia

I have to say this was probably one of my favorite movies even outside of horror genre. It was so well made and I can't get over how talented the kids are. The fact that they had such a well-balanced relationship between the horror, the comedy and the sort of coming of age story, it just baffles my mind. It was amazing and I really think that it was a great adaptation from the original. The original itself was very different from the adaptation, but I think they both did such a good job. There were points in the movie where I remember recognizing moments from the book that did not happen in the original. I just really enjoyed this movie so much.

The Conjuring 2

Wikimedia

Now this movie actually scared the living hell out of me. I was so scared of this movie for the longest time, because it was actually terrifying. I think this movie was great using such a young girl as the main character to really show how horror has no age limit. I know this was based on a true story and that makes it 10 times scarier. Seeing the comparison photos from the movie and the real events at the end, that was maybe even scarier than the movie itself. Anything that is based off of true events is scary and really makes you think about the possibility of it happening to you, that is the true horror in this movie.

A Quiet Place

Wikimedia

I know that there is a lot of controversy about this movie and that either it is terrible or it is amazing. I am one of the people who thinks that it is amazing. I love how John Krasinski cast his wife in this movie, to play his wife. The emotion is so raw and real that it really convinces you of the love they have for one another. The constant silence of the film adds to the suspense and keeps you on your toes. Also, the fact that he casted a young deaf girl, instead of having a young actress to pretend to be deaf, shows the true dedication to the story of the film. I think it was so well done and I will love recommending this movie to people anytime and anywhere.

A Cure for Wellness

The Verge

Lastly, the movie that really made me uncomfortable and uneasy. This movie is so strange and unsettling it is insane, no pun intended. The film is so bizarre that it really messes with your mind. There is nothing that I can relate to, AT ALL, from this movie, but I still have the chills thinking about it happening to myself. The odd camera work and colors that this film has, some how makes it so unsettling to the eye. It really makes my skin crawl and I can not even put a finger on the exact reason why. There is so much going on in this movie that your attention must be on the screen at all times to truly understand the plot. Sometimes that can really ruin a movie, but for some reason, there is no doubt in my mind that you wouldn't be able to take your eyes off the screen for one second. I recommend this movie to anyone who wishes to be truly freaked out and won't worry about losing sleep over it.

From Your Site Articles