Best power banks 2022: Portable chargers to keep your gadgets going

The best power banks are needed to keep your portable gadgets going. As technology gets better, battery life remains frequently limited.

95

.

The best power banks are needed to keep your portable gadgets going. As technology gets better, battery life remains frequently limited. All the devices below will help soup up your device's battery life.

Whether you're looking to charge your phone, tablet, laptop, or smartwatch, you'll need to consider how much capacity you need, how much you're willing to spend, and how slim or portable you need the power bank to be.

If you're solely planning on charging your phone once in a while, a high-capacity power bank won't be needed, but if you're looking to charge your laptop or Nintendo Switch, you'll need something more high-end.

We've listed the best power banks according to what you might be looking for. That means everyday power banks, lightweight ones, slim devices, high-capacity power banks, and even ones that charge wirelessly or use solar power.

How to Road Trip Alone as a Female

If you’re wondering how it feels to travel alone, then I think you need to go on a solo trip. You might be worried about being lonely, which is completely normal! Think about all the benefits of traveling solo, though… YOU get to pick all the restaurants, YOU get to choose what to do, YOU get to decide where to stay. It’s wonderful!

Is it safe to travel alone as a woman?

This is subjective, but I wanted to address it because it’s a frequently asked question when it comes to road-tripping alone as a woman. You’ll find that people will discourage you from traveling alone because it’s “unsafe”. I choose to ignore such close-minded comments. I think it can be both safe and unsafe. The best advice I can give you is to never let your guard down.

At the end of the day, someone who does everything right could find themselves in an uncomfortable situation and someone who is reckless could be just fine. Stay hyperaware of your surroundings and never assume that you don’t need to take the utmost safety precautions.

Plan in advance

I cannot stress the importance of making plans in advance enough. Whether you need to make hotel or campsite reservations, map out what hikes you want to do, or figure out your route, having these sorts of things figured out will save you so much frustration on a road trip. I love using Road trippers to create road trip itineraries.

You don’t necessarily have to follow the exact itinerary you create (and you probably won’t), but it’ll give you some direction and a better understanding of your destination(s) because you can’t make a plan without researching.

Share your location with a trusted friend or family member

Once you have a plan mapped out, share that plan with someone. It’s not a bad idea to also share your location with this person, so they’re able to check on your whereabouts in case of an emergency. If you’re moving around a lot, let this person know when you’re tucked in for the night at your new destination.

Make sure to let this person know if your plans change! Also, always carry a power bank to ensure that your phone stays charged as an extra safety precaution.

Don’t broadcast your travel plans or the fact that you’re traveling solo

It can be easy to let it slip in conversation, but I recommend against telling others that you’re traveling solo. I’ve even had the front desk at hotels ask me, “Are you traveling alone?” during check-in. If this comes up in conversation, there are many casual ways you can go about it.

I might say something like, “Oh, no. My husband is grabbing a few things from the car.” Or, if someone is inquiring about my travel plans, “I’m out here visiting family that recently moved.” These types of statements are to the point and suggest that you have family in the surrounding area.

Avoid being out and driving after dark

When I did my solo female USA road trip, I did everything in my power to avoid driving in the dark. I was working full-time at the time, so I’d wake up extra early to drive in the mornings or move to my next destination after work. I did this to avoid being stranded in the dark in an unfamiliar place. Thankfully, I never experienced any car trouble during my XC road trip, but I wanted to play it safe!

Power Bank to Stay Connected

When it comes to solo travel, one of the best things is to always be connected, and by that, I do not mean continuously spending time on social media.

What I do mean is you’ll want to always have a phone with enough battery life to get through the day.

A power bank (AKA portable battery, portable charger, or external battery) is one of the best investments you can make for traveling solo.

It will help you to keep your phone charged so you always have GPS to figure out your location, access to texting and calls, your Google Translate app, and more.

Depending on the capacity and attachments, it may even help with charging your camera.

Since most parts of this country are remote, having a power bank really helps; though it’s also one of the best tips for solo travelers visiting any country.

Always carry your phone with you

Girls, ALWAYS. Make sure you have plenty of battery left and make sure you never run out of power. Put your phone off in case you feel like you are not going to make it through the day so that in case you need your phone you are still able to use it. I always carry my charger or a power bank with me, even when I just go out for a drink at night. You never know what might happen. With a phone, you are able to send your location, call someone when you are in need of help and you have navigation.

What should you look for when buying a power bank?

Ask yourself questions and consider the features of a good portable charger. What would benefit you whenever you travel? Would you be away from a wall socket the entire day? Would you be using your phone a lot or do you just need a backup charge?

Here are some product qualities you must keep in mind to ensure that you’re picking the right power bank and travel companion.

Size: Is the power bank lightweight or bulky?

One of the most important factors when traveling is portability. You can find portable chargers in different sizes, but remember, the smaller it is, the lower the charging power they can generally offer.

Most of the time, you’ll find a power bank that’s the same size as a mobile phone. Those models can be kept inside your bag, purse, or pocket. If you go for the slim version, you can hold it together with your cell.

How much power capacity is enough for you?

The amount of battery charge in a power bank tells you how much juice or charging you can expect from it. Initially, portable chargers had a capacity of 2,000 mAh, but today, you can find ones that offer up to 5,000 mAh.

Does the power bank recharge in a fair amount of time?

The purpose of having a power bank is so you don’t get stuck in your hotel room waiting for your phone to charge. You want a battery pack that recharges quickly.

It’s important to have a portable charger that you can recharge overnight or while taking a siesta so you can use it again once you’re ready to head out.

But this will all depend on the cable that comes with the power bank, as well as the wall charger type.

Standard wall chargers have a 2A output that can recharge your power bank twice as fast compared to those with a 1A output. If this sounds like a vital feature for you, then you should opt for a model that offers a 2A input.

Power Bank Brands for Travel

Now, let’s discuss products! These models are some of the best in the market – both online and in stores. They all differ in size, power capacity, and other features, but each has something to bring to the table.

Some brands are quite popular with fellow gal travelers, but it’s best if we break down what’s actually good about ‘em.

EnergyCell 5000 Milliamp Hours Power bank

Offering a juice of 5,000 mAh capacity, this EnergyCell 5000 Power bank is sturdy enough to accompany you on your travels. As one of the best-selling power banks in the market, it also has a Power Core to recharge itself in a span of 4 to 10 hours.

Whether you’re going on tours, activities, or planning to do video blogs, share the culture, exotic foods, and experiences online, this Anker power bank will help you push through with your plans.

Guide To Power Banks

• Fully charge all your devices before you head out – that way you can save your power bank’s juice for when you really need it
  • It takes more power to charge most devices from 0 to 50% than it does to charge from 50% to full, so top up your devices when they dip to 50% rather than letting them run right down
  • Unplug your device as soon as it is near full charge. Keeping a device plugged in so it is continually topping itself up to 100% can drain some power banks very quickly
  • Use the cables supplied with either your device or your power bank. Cheap, inferior cables increase resistance, which can increase battery drain and adversely affect charging speeds
  • For the fastest charging speeds, use the highest-rated outlet on your power bank (for example, a 2.1A USB port will charge more quickly than a 1A USB)
  • Try not to use your devices while they are plugged in and charging from your power bank
  • Use your power bank regularly. Run a simple charge and discharge cycle once a month to help maintain the internal battery

Portable Chargers & Power Banks

Though smartphone battery life has improved, you're not going to get more than a day's worth on most devices, making a portable power source a must-have accessory.

EnergyCell has a power bank 5000mAh with three USB charging ports for under $12.99. It promises to charge smartphones about four times and a tablet twice, for an average of nine days of charging before running out of juice.

You should also consider getting two or three smaller 5,000mAh power banks to diversify the power sources. The smaller power bank will also recharge faster, instead of 12-plus hours for one over 5,000mAh. For more options, check our list of the best portable chargers and power banks.

There are always caveats to this for special circumstances, like camping, but needing 10+ hours of direct sun to get a partial charge on your phone just isn't worth the cost quite yet.

Rechargeable Hand Warmer

When the power goes out and the temperature drops, you'll need a way to actively keep yourself warm. Sure, having snug jackets and waterproof boots can help you stay toasty, but it can be a pain when your fingers are on the verge of freezing.

Here's where electronic hand warmers come in handy. Unlike disposable hand warmers, these portable devices are reusable and last longer. Once they're charged, you can use them for up to 18 hours depending on the model. In addition to warming your hands, some electronic hand warmers can be used as power banks for your other gadgets, and many even come with flashlights.

High-Capacity Power Bank

Your part of the grid can go out for any number of reasons, from a defective transformer to frozen power lines. That’s why power banks are essential additions to this list as you can’t really depend on power to stay on in times of a disaster.