The Best Places To Travel In Europe

The Best Places To Travel In Europe

Really, all that I want to do is go back.

113
The Best Places To Travel In Europe

Ever since spring break ended, I've been wishing for some time to go abroad and travel again. It definitely doesn't help that I see some of my Facebook friends going to super cool places (Thailand) and I am extremely jealous. I can't go anywhere anytime soon, so I thought that I'd make a list of my favorite places in Europe out of hope that it will help others.

Granada, Spain

Granada's claim to fame is its Alhambra, the castle and city on top of a mountain that were first the base of operations for the Moors in Spain and then the seat of Ferdinand and Isabella, "the Catholic monarchs," who united Spain and gave Christopher Columbus his commission to sail west. With many aspects like Seville's Alcázar, but on a much larger scale, the Alhambra is a must-see in Spain both for its historical value and its beauty. The city also boasts a great nightlife and even has some fun bars inside of the city's mountain caves. My friends and I, while in search of one of these bars, stumbled across a flamenco party in the neighboring cave and were immediately invited in for music and dancing. It was easily my favorite part of our entire trip. Here's a fun fact, the Spanish word for pomegranate is "granada" because there are so many pomegranates growing in the Alhambra and around the city. Granada is also one of the few places that still serves traditional tapas, small plates of food, to "top off" any drink that you order. As the story goes, the working classes were choosing to spend all of their money on booze and not food, so it was declared that every drink purchased must come with a free bite to eat, and tapas were born.

Dublin, Ireland

Dublin is a city full of excitement. The city boasts everything from pub crawls to churches to tours of the Guinness storehouse, so it really has something for everyone. The Trinity College library is a must-see, both for its own beauty and for the fact that it houses the famous Book of Kells, an ancient bible written Ireland around the year 800. Other attractions include Phoenix Park and my personal favorite, the Dublin Spire. The Spire is really just a giant pole in the middle of a busy city street, but its nicknames make it great. It has been referred to as "the stiletto in the ghetto," "the rod to the god," and "the erection in the intersection." All of these attractions are amazing, but the true beauty of Dublin comes from its happy atmosphere and its night time pub culture, which frequently includes live music.

Seville, Spain

After living in Seville for four months, I'm probably a little bit biased, but I think that it's the greatest city in the world. It's so beautiful. The Plaza de Espana (pictured above) is a building and courtyard that was built for the 1929 Ibero-American Exposition. Seville's cathedral is the world's largest Gothic cathedral and second largest in general, that includes la Giralda. The Parque Maria Luisa is the city's largest and prettiest park, built to surround the buildings from the 1929 exposition. The Real Alcázar is a Moorish castle that still serves as the Sevillan home for the Spanish royal family. It's the oldest working castle in Spain. Last, but certainly not least, Las Setas ("the mushrooms"), formally known as Espacio Metropol Parasol, is a modern building/sculpture built on top of ancient ruins that gives the best view of the city. However, even with all of these amazing monuments, the city's real charm comes from the fact that, even though it is the fourth largest city in Spain, nearly all of the buildings downtown are historic and, up until I was studying there, there were no buildings taller than the cathedral's Giralda. The city has charm and history as the old center of nautical navigation. Columbus started his mission from Seville and may or may not be buried there. So, it is definitely worth a visit.

Rothenburg, Germany

Rothenburg is a tiny city in south-western Germany. While it's definitely most suitable for a short day trip, it's adorable and a great place to visit. The city is Germany's last walled-in medieval town, and it looks like it hasn't aged a bit since its birth. From cute shops and cafes to walking along the outer wall, the city has plenty to do that will make you feel like you've stepped into (a much cleaner version of) the Middle Ages.

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Amsterdam has some attractions and legalities that everyone knows about, but it's a beautiful city with plenty to do even if those aren't your scene (or if you're traveling with your family). From the city's canals to the Ann Frank house, you can easily spend your time in Amsterdam touring the city's more family-friendly options without ever setting foot in the Red Light District. That being said, if the Red Light District is where you want to be, it's lots of fun. Just be careful!