Best Places To Eat Around Georgia Tech

Best Places To Eat Around Georgia Tech

Cheat days are allowed, right?

3181
Best Places To Eat Around Georgia Tech
Technique

I wrote an article two weeks ago that listed eight ways a college freshman can avoid gaining the "Freshman 15", which you can find here. In this article I mentioned how eating out less and preparing your own meals is not only cheaper but also healthier since dining options around campus tend to be fast food. With that being said, there will inevitably come a time when you choose to dine out, whether that is for the sake of convenience or simply because you want to indulge in a solid-tasting burger or a gooey slice of pizza. Cheat days are totally acceptable so long as you minimize them, right?

Having been at Georgia Tech for over a year now, I have discovered some great food on and near campus that are worth sharing. Some of these places are directly on campus, while others are off campus but remain in close proximity (maybe a $3 Uber ride away!). I have also indicated how long it would take to drive and walk to the restaurant, using the Clough Undergraduate Learning Commons as a reference point since it is located at the heart of campus.

Let us take a food tour around Georgia Tech, shall we?

1. Highland Bakery

From CULC: 5-minute walk (driving is unnecessary)

I like to consider Highland Bakery a hidden gem on campus since it has a tiny sign by the door and is attached to the back of Tech Tower and the administration building. You might be walking around for awhile before you find it, or maybe I just have subpar navigation skills. Anyway, despite its name, Highland Bakery has an extensive range of breakfast and lunch options beyond its bakery items and coffee drinks. For the morning, I would recommend the ricotta pancakes, which come with a "warm blueberry compote". There is nothing else to say but that they are amazing and a great spin-off of the traditional pancake. For lunch, I love the Caprese sandwich containing mozzarella, basil and tomatoes on grilled sourdough- an all-around delicious meal that comes with chips on the side. Give their menu a look here.

2. West Egg Cafe

From CULC: 9-minute drive; 30-minute walk

If you were to Google the best restaurants for brunch in Atlanta, West Egg Cafe is bound to be on the list. With a four-star rating and a total of 956 reviews on Yelp, this place in the Westside Provisions District attracts people from all over Atlanta and beyond. In terms of operating hours, it strays from your standard breakfast and brunch restaurant. Instead of closing just after lunchtime, like J. Christopher's does, West Egg serves breakfast from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the weekend. This means you can have breakfast food anytime in the afternoon.

As for their food, I recommend their sour cream pancakes with chocolate chips or the pimiento cheese and bacon omelet. Another aspect of West Egg Cafe that distinguishes it from other brunch places is its skillet potatoes. Instead of frying them to the point that they are too crispy, the chefs maintain a certain chewiness in the potatoes and cook them with a delicious seasoning. If you aren't fond of crispy potatoes, you would love the ones at West Egg. But be prepared to wait 30-45 minutes before being seated! Check out their breakfast and brunch menus here.

Pimiento Cheese and Bacon Omelet at West Egg Cafe

3. Yeah! Burger in West Midtown

This burger joint prides itself on its "wholesome food" and "sustainable values and practices", as described extensively on its website. Their philosophy sets it apart from many of its fast food counterparts, like McDonald's and Burger King. I have been here twice, and both times, I left full and satisfied. The original Yeah! Burger and Mushroom Swiss burger are good choices, but you can also build your own burger by selecting from the different options of patties, buns, cheeses, sauces and toppings. I heard that their handspun milkshakes are also a must-try, so I will have to get one next time because who wouldn't want a French Roast Mocha milkshake? Check out their menu here. They also have separate vegan and gluten-free menus!

4. Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams

Jeni's is yet another place located in the Westside Provisions District; I honestly could spend all day in this foodie's palace. As soon as you enter Jeni's, you'll be confronted with the heavenly smell of creamy, delicious ice cream. With their menu posted on a green chalkboard wall, string lights strewn through the ceiling beams and their marble table tops, this place is as aesthetically pleasing as it gets. But their ice cream is even better. You won't find your typical vanilla, chocolate and strawberry flavors here, but names such as "Sweet Cream Biscuits and Peach Jam" and "Salted Peanut Butter with Chocolate Flecks" sound mouthwatering enough for anyone to give Jeni's a try. My favorites are Wildberry Lavender and Gooey Butter Cake. Mmm.

In the festive mood, they currently have Sweet Potato Eclair, Thai Curry Pumpkin and a chocolate spice flavor called Xocorosa. Check out all of their flavors here.

Brambleberry Crisp (front) and Wildberry Lavender (back) at Jeni's

5. Atwood's Pizza

From CULC: 6-minute drive; 16-minute walk

It seems that every other person I meet at Georgia Tech raves about Antico's Pizza, which is located just beyond the west side of campus. However, living on the edge of east campus, it is much easier for me to go to Atwood's anytime I crave a slice of pizza. You can find this place at the corner of West Peachtree Street NW and 6th Street, but if you are like me and don't know the streets of Atlanta well enough, simply walk past the Scheller College of Business, turn left when you hit The Biltmore, and Atwood's is at the next intersection.

I highly recommend the Tartufo pizza with mushrooms, fontina, gorgonzola and truffle oil. I have had to ask the restaurant's employees what many of the pizza ingredients means, but they were happy to explain what "fior di latte" and "rapini" are to my uncultured self. Their large size is perfect for splitting among two or three people. Check out the menu of pizzas here.

6. Blue Donkey Coffee

From CULC: 4-minute walk (driving is unnecessary)

If you are tired of buying coffee from Starbuck's or Dunkin Donuts, check out this place that serves the best iced coffee I have ever tasted. Having opened just last spring, Blue Donkey Coffee used to only have a pop-up coffee station at the campus farmer's market every Wednesdays, but I guess someone recognized the popular demand they received from students and decided to open a permanent store on the first floor of the Student Center. We all thank you for your positive contributions to Georgia Tech. As for what I like to order here, Blue Donkey allows you to do a half-and-half iced coffee with two different flavors, so I always like to do half summer almond, half 365 (a bold, dark roast flavor). Check out their other flavors here.

7. The French Truck

Whoever thought of making and serving crepes in a food truck was a genius. The French Truck, which makes crepes to order, not only features many of the sweet crepes you've heard of before, like bananas with Nutella. Its menu also has several savory options, including a crepe I tried last week that contains chicken, pesto, parmesan and arugula, all in a thin, pancake-flavored wrap. The French Truck is known to have a "rotating menu", so they might not have this same crepe every time, but I will definitely be going back to try another one soon. This truck just made its way to Georgia Tech's campus this fall and can be found around Tech Green every Thursday during typical lunch hours. Check out their Facebook page here.

I hope this list provides you with some new ideas for dining at or near Georgia Tech. Most, if not all, have feasible walking distances, depending on how keen you feel toward walking a mile or so off campus, but I can definitely say that all of these restaurants have something delicious to offer. If you have a favorite place to eat around Georgia Tech or even in the greater Atlanta area, please comment below; I am always looking to try something new!