10 Of The Best 'Milk and Honey" Poems

10 ‘Milk And Honey’ Poems That Everyone Needs To Hear

The poetry book is a journey of surviving through poetry.

668

I would always see these posts of quotes on Instagram and Tumblr, and I would either screenshot or save them because of the way the quotes spoke out to me. It honestly always felt as if whoever created these quotes knew exactly what I was going through, or like they were trying to give me a wake-up call for certain things. After doing plenty of research, I found out that these quotes come from a collection of poems put together in the book, "Milk and Honey." Not only does this book have a series of poems for pretty much every situation, but it's a great way to heal or simply think.

Here are 10 poems that really stuck out to me, which I think that every person should hear since they each teach an important lesson.

1. How you should love yourself

"How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you."

Loving yourself is an important aspect of growing up. You honestly can't love anyone until you learn to love yourself. Until you learn exactly who you are and all parts of you. If others see that you love yourself, or respect yourself, then they will know that you have yourself as a priority. That you care more about yourself than anybody else who tries to compete. If you treat yourself like nothing, then so will others. If the fact that you love yourself is evident to others, then they will treat you in the same way.

2. Actions are always stronger than words

"There is a difference between someone telling you they love you and them actually loving you."

Don't you love when people say they're going to do something, but never live up to their own words. This quote is a reminder for yourself when you encounter these type of people. People can always say this and that and they can always promise things, but they might not actually mean it or even come close to keeping their promises. People lie. People forget. People stop trying. That's life. Never believe something without seeing some kind of proof that proves that it's true. Always make sure it's verified and accurate (almost like you would for your news intake), because at the end of the day words can be deceiving. Some people say "I love you" without actually meaning it, and some do. So, next time just be careful and make sure that they actually love you, and you have proof to back it up. I love you can be said in many other ways through actions and even the little things.

3. You can't blame everything on fate

"I want to scream and shout it's us you fool. We're the only ones that can bring us back together."

What's meant to be will be. I always use this quote, pretty much for whenever I feel that something isn't in my hands. However, the truth is more than half the time, it is in my hands and I can usually do something about it. It honestly does suck when you want something to happen so bad, but instead of trying to make sure it happens, you just say to yourself it will happen if it's meant to happen. When a person starts learning piano and they aren't the best at it, do they tell themselves what's meant to be, will be? No. They continue and keep trying until they're perfect at it. Personally, I have used this before, but it turns out that if you just put something to the side, then nothing is going to change or grow. It will simply just stay the same. Only use this saying if you truly can't do anything about the situation. Then you can say: "What's meant to be will always find a way."

4. The difference between want and need

"This is where you must understand the difference between want and need."

Sometimes what you want isn't always what you need. The definition of wants are things that you do not have to have to survive, but you would like to have. The definition of needs are things that you must have in order to survive. There is a huge difference between wanting someone to just have them, and wanting someone because you feel that they complete you. This poem is about realizing your self-worth and realizing that you may not always mean as much to others as they do to you. While it does suck, you can't always get what you want. Surprisingly, if the feelings aren't mutual then maybe it's best that you don't entertain it. If you choose to entertain it, then it's almost as if you are being taken advantage of. The things you may want to seek, may not be the thing that is best for you at the moment. You truly can't always get what you want.

5. Learn how to be complete by yourself

"I do not want to have you to fill the empty parts of me, I want to be full on my own, I want to be so complete."

Thinking you need someone to complete you may happen a lot. However, you need to remember that you are full on your own. You honestly don't need someone to complete you, but instead to compliment you. It's better when two full people come together and become one. Are we really ready to be with another person before we truly know ourselves? Of course not. So, make sure you know yourself and are complete on your own before getting together with someone. At the end of the day, setting a whole city on fire does much more damage than lighting it up does.

6. Don't chase anything, grow so that they chase you

"You mustn't have to make them want you, they must want you themselves."

It honestly took me a long time to realize that you shouldn't chase the person you want because then it doesn't work out. The best way is to elevate yourself and grow until the person chases you. You have to come to the realization that you can't always get what you want and sometimes the thing or person you may want, may not want you. It's up to them to decide if they do. After all, it's better to say that you found each other, instead of saying you simply chased someone.

7. You can always rise up when you fall down

"If you were born with the weakness to fall, you were born with the strength to rise."

People fall down and sometimes they even crumble. However, you have to remember that you can get up and become full again. You can rise up. Listen to the song "Rise Up" by Andra Day, if you need some motivation. Also, you have to learn that when you fall, you need to own it, or you'll repeat it. After all, the greatest glory isn't when you win, it's when you fall and rise up.

8. Women can be more than pretty

"I want to apologize to all the women I have called pretty, before I've called them intelligent or brave."

Daily, girls call each other pretty and beautiful. However, the reality is we don't think about how that may affect them. We don't think about that girls maybe rather here the words "intelligent" or "smart" or "brave," but instead we think that all girls want to hear about how they appear. Girls should tell other girls about how they make them feel, or about what they think about their brain and not their face. Why do men always get told: "You're so smart."

9. Sometimes you have to let things go

"Let it go. Let it leave. Let it happen."

Holding onto things can be one of the hardest things to do. Sometimes it's hard to decide whether you want to hold onto something or just wait, but the reality is you should let go. Letting go or moving on is hard, but it will heal you. You will realize that there is more to come. You will realize that you can't be in control of everything.

10. The sun always shines after it rains

"If the hurt comes, so will the happiness."

If you're going through a tough time, you have to remember that the happy times are coming. If you're going through a time of pain and sorrow, a time of happiness and joy will soon come as well. Things do get better. Things do change. Sometimes everything happens for a reason.