Depression: The Church's Best Kept Secret

How The Church Can Intentionally Love People Struggling With Depression

109

According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, over 19 million Americans suffer from depression each year. It is one of the most common mental illnesses in the United States, taking a close second to anxiety disorders.

Depression is also one of the main causes of suicide, which claims 30,000 American lives each year. "Psychiatric Times" labels what is happening in America as "an epidemic of depression.”

There is clearly a problem in our society. People are hurting.

Broken.

Hopeless.

And they have nowhere to turn.

From within the walls of the church, stigmatism and prejudice often prevent people from seeking counsel.

Depression is frequently labeled a sin, or a result of a diminished faith. Instead of running towards the broken with the Truth, too often Christians run and hide. Unwilling to take the burdens of others and lay them at the feet of Jesus, we turn a blind eye to the pain of humanity.

In order to better serve and love people struggling with this, we must first have a general understanding of the topic. Depression typically fits into one of three categories.

Genetic Depression- This type of depression is someone who is literally “marked by melancholy from the moment of their birth” as Charles Spurgeon describes it. Family genetics are affected by sin and causes an imbalance of chemicals in the brain.

Circumstantial Depression- this type of depression is brought on by a specific event or series of events that take place in a person’s life. Often, following a death, tragic accident, a devastating diagnosis or any number of occurrences, people battle depression. This is the most common type of depression in the United States.

Sin-related Depression- Living in unconfessed sin has consequences. The Holy Spirit is constantly prodding and nudging the heart, which may result in a depressed state. This type should be dealt with differently than the other two.

Depression is not a sin in and of itself.

There are actually multiple people in the Bible who display effects of depression. Think of David in writing the Psalms, Job in his questioning God, Naomi when she returned to Bethlehem or Hannah when she could not bear a child. Each of these individuals faced depression in their pursuit of the Lord's will.

Recent and modern day proclaimers of the Gospel have also suffered. Charles Spurgeon, Ann Voskamp, Sheila Walsh, Tommy Nelson, Chondra Pierce, John Piper and numerous other forerunners in Christian ministry have faced this battle.

This leads us to another lie in the church--that depressed people are not saved. This is an entirely untrue statement.

In fact, it would seem that Satan commonly uses depression as a debilitating struggle for those who seek to pursue people for the Gospel. While depression is often aided by worry and a lack of faith, it is not a result of unbelief.

Depressed people can be, and often are, saved. The Lord tests and grows each of His children by walking them through valleys and trials in life.

For many, perhaps the longest valley He has called them to walk is the valley of despair and depression.

In light of this, how can the church intentionally love people struggling with depression?

• Do not make assumptions. Sometimes the happiest people are hurting the most.
  • Do not cease to pray for them. As believers, our two biggest weapons against the Enemy are Scripture and prayer. Use them both.
  • Take their burdens to the feet of Jesus. No individual can bear the burdens of this life, as well as someone else’s life, on themselves. When reaching out to people, it is easy to become overwhelmed with sorrow. It is essential to carry these burdens straight to the Lord.
  • Be patient. The last thing someone struggling with depression needs to hear is that they need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps- which is a typical American mindset. Give grace, be gentle, empathize, share the sorrow and carry them to the cross and the Truth.
  • Intentionally reach out. Do not allow the depressed to become easy prey for the enemy by separating them from the church. They need Christian relationships. Christ-centered friendships. People who will remind them of God’s faithfulness and love that transcend any current circumstances.

It is about time that the church opens up about the issue of depression. Too many Christians have given their lives up to despair or ended their life of agony for us to turn a blind eye any longer.We must not shame those who suffer from a pain too deep for words.

Instead, we, as the church, much reach out, offer a helping hand of love, support, and safety, while constantly pushing them to look and dwell upon Christ.

I do have limited experience with the depth of depression which caused me such agony I questioned if life was worth living.

It was a valley God called me to walk through, and I pray that I never walk it again.

However, I can have complete confidence that the God who breathed life into the world will continue to breathe life into me as long as He desires, and when He calls me to walk through another valley, no matter how deep, He will walk beside me.

When confronted with the struggles of this life as a result of sin, I can only think of one thing, the Lord’s return. Any and every trial Christians face should increase our hope and longing for the blessed day when He will return and take us to our forever home, Heaven.

These lyrics speak of our Heavenly home, and the hope we can have in it despite the trials of earth.

I want to run on greener pastures

I want to dance on higher hills

I want to drink from sweeter waters

In the misty morning chill

And my soul is getting restless

For the place where I belong

I can’t wait to join the angels and sing my heaven song!