7 Houseplants For Beginner Plant Parents

Time to embrace your green thumb!

378
Photo by Huy Phan on Unsplash

Before starting college, I was not a plant person. I was absolutely convinced I was thoroughly incapable of keeping any sort of plant alive, and any greenery I would collect would be of the plastic variety. However, upon meeting people who had acquired a collection of plants, I started to have a change of heart. Then, I watched my mom begin her own plant family.

What started as me helping my mom water her plants soon turned into a fascination, and thus my love for plants began. I realized taking care of plants isn't as daunting as it seems!

Here are some plants that I have acquired over the past few months that not only been super fun to take care of, but stress-free as well!

1. Pothos

green plant on white ceramic vasePhoto by Kelsey Brown on Unsplash

Also known as Golden Pothos and Devil's Ivy, Pothos plants are the perfect beginner houseplant. They only require watering about once a week, and they are super adaptable to any amount of light. One of my favorite things about my Pothos is I can see it grow before my very eyes! I love taking weekly progress pictures to see how much it has grown.

2. Snake Plant

green snake plant on white potPhoto by Jake Goossen on Unsplash

Snake plants thrive on neglect. Also referred to as Mother-in-Law's Tongue, this plant requires little attention and maintenance. Just like Pothos, Snake plants only require watering once a week (or until the soil is dry), and can tolerate low levels of light.

3. ZZ Plant

black flat screen computer monitor beside white and blue ceramic mugPhoto by Pino Nguyen on Unsplash

The ZZ plant is the next plant on my list! While I personally don't own one, I've heard how easy it is to maintain and care for. Its dark green leaves are absolutely gorgeous and will add some depth and color to any space. These plants love low to indirect light, and they can go a long time without needing any water.

4. Bamboo

green-leafed plantPhoto by Elton Sipp on Unsplash

Said to bring good luck and happiness, Bamboo plants are perfect for any space in your home. I water my bamboo plants once a week, and I don't have to worry about whether they're getting enough light since they're so adaptable!

5. Aloe Vera

Aloe vera in white potPhoto by Stephanie Harvey on Unsplash

Usually, I'm not too crazy about succulents or cacti, but for Aloe Vera plants I'll make an exception. I remember getting wicked sunburns when I used to be too stubborn to use SPF, and my mom would simply take a piece of out aloe vera plant, and rub its juices on my burn. I love the functionality of aloe vera, and they're so cute! They come in all shapes and sizes, and they're available at practically any garden center. They do prefer brighter light, but they can go for long periods of time without water.

6. African Spear

green plant on white backgroundPhoto by Severin Candrian on Unsplash

African Spear plants, also known as Sansevieria cylindricas, are very similar to Snake plants because of their adaptability to virtually any environment in your home. Its name is very fitting, as these plants look like long spears shooting out of their soil. In some garden centers, some of these plants are braided together, giving a unique look to the plant as a whole. Again, these plants are very adaptable and can go long amounts of time without needing watering.

7. Dumbcane

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Costa-Farms-Dieffenbachia-in-6-in-Grower-Pot-6EX/202676716?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28O-G-D28O-28_8_LIVE_GOODS-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP_Tropical_HousePlants&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28O-G-D28O-28_8_LIVE_GOODS-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP_Tropical_HousePlants-71700000045863799-58700004688900806-92700039701483530&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4POkltjv6wIVEb7ACh25MQ8tEAQYBSABEgLeMPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The last plant on our list is Dumbcane! Also known as Mother-in-law plant or Dieffenbachia, this plant loves bright indirect light, and doesn't need a lot of maintenance. Only needing a good watering once a week, Dumbcane is a great addition to your plant collection. I have one just small enough to sit on my desk, but this plant comes in a variety of sizes.

Now, get out there and start a plant family of your own!