10 Can't Miss Holiday Activities In Chicago

Chicago is truly the best city to be during the holidays.

105
Pedro Lastra

"Chicago, Chicago, that toddling town" Frank Sinatra swooned. Chicago has always been known as the up and coming city to beat because of the energy of the people and the many things to partake in. Chicagoans love to celebrate Chicago in their snow covered streets lined with shiny reflective buildings. Furthermore, there is a plethora of activities to enjoy in Chicago, some even being free of charge. It's a beautiful thing when the city of Chicago can work with the businesses to bring Christmas cheer to its inhabitants.

1. Millennium Park Christmas Tree

This 62-Foot Norway Spruce is only able to be viewed until January 6th, 2018. This annual Christmas Tree is the 104th year it’s celebrating its tradition. This tree has supposedly been growing since the 1930’s, making it the best choice to represent the City of Chicago’s Christmas pride. I went to the tree and took this photo in front of it!

Here is a link to information about the tree: https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/su...

2. Christkindl Market

With traditions of German and European Christmases, this festival is one of the largest in Chicago. Vendors from around the Chicagoland area come to sell their goods while the people of Chicago come to relish in the holiday excitement. You will find everything from ornaments to hot chocolate served in their famous mugs.

Here is the link to information about the Market: www.christkindlmarket.com/history-tradition/

3. Macy's windows

This years theme is “Reason To Believe”, following the 10th year of Macy’s Believe campaign. Walk down State Street as you will see each unique window telling a story within itself. The theme changes every year but uses refurbished parts from previous years. Make sure to experience a new year of Macy’s Windows!

Here is the link to the Macy's website: https://www.visitmacysusa.com/visitor-center/macys...

4. Zoo lights

Enjoy the zoo in a whole new way with spiced hot beverages, ice sculptures, and light displays. This will truly put you in the Holiday spirit as you walk down Candy Cane Lane. You will also be able to see the animals come out to help make this evening even more magical.

Here is the link to the Lincoln Park Zoo: www.lpzoo.org/zoolights-presented-comed-and-powers...

5. Ice Skating

The two main ice skating rinks in Chicago are the Maggie Daley Park Skating Ribbon and the Millennium Park McCormick Tribune Ice Rink. At both rinks, skating is free with the exception of a low price for skate rentals. Skate around the rink while listening to holiday music and warm up with hot cocoa afterwards. Experience the multisensory event of “Alpine in the city” at the Skating Ribbon which is twice the length of a typical ice rink. Or skate beneath the infamous Cloud sculpture, at the McCormick Tribune Ice Rink.

Here are the links to the ice skating rinks:

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/su...

maggiedaleypark.com/things-to-do-see/skating-ribbon/

6. Christmas around the world and Holidays of light at the Museum of Science and Industry

Originally starting with just one large tree, this tradition has expanded into including a four-story Grand tree, surrounded by 50 trees and displays decorated by volunteers to represent different holiday traditions from around the globe. If you desire to be surrounded by beautiful Christmas trees that will teach you about cultures aside from America’s, this is the place for you.

Here is the link to the Museum of Science and Industry: https://www.mischicago.org/explore/whats-here/exhi...

7. Joffrey Ballet’s The Nutcracker

Based off of Chicago’s 1893 World’s Fair, a young woman and her mother who are working on the Fairs Statue of the Republic, host a holiday party. This critically acclaimed play has hints of romance and adventure, making it a must-see for a new generation.

Here is the link to the Joffrey Ballet: http://www.joffrey.org/nutcracker

8. Winter Wonderfest at Navy Pier

Fifth Third Bank presents Winter WonderFest, December 1st through January 7th. This WonderFest is full of exciting adventures including rides, giant slides, and a skating rink. The Holiday decorations are sure to get you into the Christmas spirit!

Here is the link to Navy Pier: https://navypier.org/winter-wonderfest/

9. CTA Holiday Train

The CTA Holiday Trains and busses are a unique Chicago tradition, sponsored by Jewel-Osco. The Holiday Train is a six-car train with lights, holiday decorations, and Santa on a sleigh in the middle of the train. The Holiday bus brings the same cheer and spirit as it rides the streets!

Our holiday trains and bus are a holiday tradition unique to Chicago, and this year are sponsored by Jewel-Osco!

Here is the link to the CTA Holiday Train: http://www.transitchicago.com/holiday/

10. BlackHawks game

Dominating the ice since 1926, the games are infamous for its audience to be sitting on the edge of their seats. Release some of your passion for hockey as you watch the Blackhawks fiercely defend themselves on their home rink.

Here is the link to the BlackHawks website for game schedules: https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/