How To Get By Living 724 Miles From Your Best Friend

College stole my best friend and gave me another.

7
PopSugar

If you're anything like me, you moved away in order to go to college.

And if you're anything like me, this was difficult for you. You didn't just leave home. You left everything that made it feel like home. Your family. Your church. Your house. The familiarity of your hometown. And don't get me started on the family pet that stole your heart.

Some of you probably went to college with your best friend, making this transition just a little bit easier. Consider yourself blessed.

If you're anything like me, you had to leave your best friend behind. No matter how many times you tried, she never seemed to fit in the suitcases comfortably. Should one of us transfer? What about the scholarships? Maybe we could just become famous and not go to college?

Well, that didn't work out. So after many tears and hugs and laughs, you and your childhood best friend now live (if you're anything like me) approximately 724 miles apart.

Sometimes you wish she was sitting next to you in class so you could compare notes and laugh as you try to understand the professor's accent.

You wish she was with you at the library so she could tease you about the cute boy checking you out from across the room. Then later you would both sit on your bed as you stalk him on Facebook (which is completely acceptable by the way).

And at the end of a long day, you wish you could call her up and tell her to sleep over so you could have deep conversations and laugh until you cry.

Unfortunately, that's not how life turns out for most of us. We learn to be content with Skype and phone calls. We accept the fact that our best friends have other friends to hang out with while we're gone.

And if you're anything like me, you have made other friendships that will last a lifetime! Your roommate is a fantastic human being that embraces and joins in your weirdness. And she has become your best friend in college.

Your roommate stays up until 4 a.m. having deep conversations with you and making you laugh until you both cry. She helps you stalk those people on Facebook (still acceptable). And she is always there for you.

So if you're anything like me, leaving home and your childhood best friend is always hard, no matter how much practice you get. But if you're anything like me, there is always a reason to look forward to going back to school after a break because you have a best friend waiting for you there.