The Best Food...Ever

The Best Food...Ever

And Ode to My Favorite Versatile Meal

7
The Best Food...Ever
Food Republic

One of the most widely-loved foods in the world (okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration), is one that most of us are all-too-familiar with. It is one of the staples of childhood dinners and college diets. It can range from simple to cheap while being flavorful, and it is made with love (and a lot of time). People from all regions of the United States have versions of this delicious pasta meal, and there are countless ways to make it. From ooey-gooey and gourmet to straight out of a box and foil packet, this food reminds many of us of home.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm referring to macaroni and cheese. Call me crazy, but food is a comfort item to many people, and what sounds more comforting than a hot helping of cheesy, gooey noodles? My personal favorite method for making this delightful dinner (I say dinner because I could make an entire meal out of just this stuff... not even kidding) is using a slow cooker. I originally took the recipe that I use from a Paula Deen show, but I added my own personal twist. The amount of cheese and sour cream involved would make your arteries clench up if you even knew it... so I will spare you the dirty details.

In the South, we like to bake our mac & cheese and serve it up in a casserole dish in "pie" form. This style is typical for a side item for a holiday dinner, or even a full home-cooked meal. My personal favorite style of this versatile pasta dish is when its been slowly cooked with loads of cheese (and other dairy products, as I mentioned earlier), to the point where it is sticky and gooey. I'm talking about the strings of cheese that follow your spoon when you go to serve it. Don't even get me started on the different types of cheese and pasta that you can use while making this wonderful concoction of fatty happiness. I like to keep it simple and stick to elbow noodles and sharp cheddar cheese, however I enjoy changing it up a bit occasionally. I don't discriminate against boxed pasta dinners either, but I only prepare those types on meals in a pinch.

Overall, I've been working on my eating habits and I have drastically improved my patterns of eating as far as the times that I eat and what I actually put into my body. I eat much less fatty and fried foods, and more freshly prepared meals. I gravitate towards salads and lighter meals in the evening, and try to take in my higher-calorie items during the day when I'm active. I have lost thirty pounds since I began drinking more water and watching what I eat. However, we all deserve our cheat meals, right?