10 Movies With Impressive Cinematography

There is a lot that goes into creating a film and the cinematography is an important factor. The cinematography of a movie can make movies stand out from the rest. Not only do these movies have interesting storylines but they also are unique when it comes to the techniques that were used to create it. Here are 10 movies with impressive cinematography.

1. "The Shape of Water" (2017)

"The Shape of Water" is directed by Guillermo del Toro. There is no question why this film won an Academy Award for Best Picture because the cinematography was amazing. The creature looked very unique and the story was one of a kind. The colors of the film were dark and green which added to the movie's setting. This movie was very impressive with its multiple languages and a unique story that entranced us all.

2. "Whiplash" (2014)

Whiplash was directed by Damien Chazelle. Whiplash is an amazing film that takes the story of a musicians struggle to a whole other level. The story of a drummer became a visually impressive film with its gold and green tones that add to the intensity of the music industry. Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons leave a lasting impression and the cinematography adds to an amazing film.

3. "Ed Wood" (1994)

"Ed Wood" was directed by Tim Burton. Ed Wood is a movie about the movie director Edward D. Wood who became known as one the worst director's ever. He became famous for his lack of talent because everyone wanted to see the "worst movies ever". Tim Burton impressively made the film Ed Wood look like Edward Wood's movies as it was all in black and white. Tim Burton also used traditional shots such as pan shots and tilted shots to represent something bad that is about to happen. The actors and actresses were well picked partially for their acting and also how closely they looked like the actors in Edward Wood's movies like Plan 9 from Outer Space. You could tell Tim Burton took the time on this film and it is now one of my favorites.

4. "The Truth About Emanuel" (2013)

GoodReads

This indie film was directed by Francesca Gregorini. "The Truth About Emanuel" not only had an interesting story and amazing acting by Kaya Scodelario and Jessica Biel, but it also has amazing cinematography. When it comes to the metaphors in this movie and the water, the cinematography of these moments take your breath away. This movie was amazing and unique in every way.

5. "Stoker" (2013)

"Stoker" was directed by Park Chan-wook. Stoker is a thriller and mystery that keeps you engaged. The cinematography is what makes it so different than any other mystery. The transitions and film shots are interesting when it comes to close-ups and details. The colors are dark but bold. Everything about this movie was so different but in all the best ways.

6. "Call Me By Your Name" (2017)

Vulture

"Call Me By Your Name" is directed by Luca Guadagnino. This movie started out small but got known because of its impressiveness. The story is a beautiful love story with two amazing actors Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer. The cinematography is amazing when it comes to the light summer tones and the interesting transitions. There were flies where there should be flies and the car sounds aren't drawn out which made the film all the more real. The mixture of languages and the set in Italy added to the beauty of this film. To top it off the film score is perfect. I will always describe this film as one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen.

7. "Pan's Labyrinth" (2006)

"Pan's Labyrinth" was directed by Guillermo del Toro. This became a well-known film for its interesting creatures and a deep storyline. The film is in Spanish with subtitles for those who don't speak Spanish. The dark tones and uniquely made creatures are what adds to this film. Watching it makes the audience feel as if they are in dark fantasy. This film will always be a classic and we can thank its cinematography and storyline for that.

8. "White Bird in a Blizzard" (2014)

WiffleGif

"White Bird in a Blizzard" is directed by Gregg Araki. This thriller film is another mystery that is done in a unique way. The characters are interesting and the tones are bold. Whether it is a green tone or a white/blue tone for the metaphor of a blizzard. This film has twists to keep the audience on their toes with amazing cinematography to create an extra punch.

9. "The Grand Budapest Hotel" (2014)

"The Grand Budapest Hotel" is directed by Wes Anderson who is well-known for their unique cinematography. Color tones make this film visually appealing especially the pink and red tones. The techniques are unique like the long shots that almost look cartoon are a specialty of Wes Anderson. He has made his style so uniquely his, that you can always tell when a film is created by him. This film is a witty crime film that surely sweeps the audience of their feet.

10. "Psychout for Murder" (1969)

"Psychout for Murder" is an Italian film directed by Rossano Brazzi with the original title Salvare la faccia. This film is in Italian but has subtitles for those who speak English. It was released in the U.S. around 1971. Psychout for Murder has interesting cinematography when it comes to all light tones and close-up shots of particularly Adrienne Larussa's eyes. This film became a fashion icon and is known for it's aesthetic.

These films became favorites of mine and others because they were so different from other movies. We are tired of watching the same things and look for something different. These movies gave us unique storylines and visually appealing scenes. They are all equally unique in their own way which makes them such amazing films.